Life > High School

In the Home Stretch: 7 Tips for High School Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

My senior year of high school was one of the best (and most stressful) times of my life. Even though I already considered myself to be an adult, I had no idea what I was doing. Graduating high school was similar to jumping into the deep end of a pool when you’ve just learned how to swim. All of the older kids are doing it, and it seems exciting. At the same time, you’re terrified. Will you be able to swim and keep your head above the water? Or, will you fail the swim test and end up being saved by a lifeguard? It turned out that finishing my senior year wasn’t as lifechanging as I thought it would be. High school had taught me how to stay afloat, and by the end of it, I was ready to dive into the deep end. Here are seven tips to help you survive the end of your senior year.

Keep up with your grades

By the end of your senior year, it’s easy to feel like the hard work is over. You probably have options for college or a plan for after graduation. But don’t let that make you lazy. It may seem like a good idea to put your feet up and let the assignments pass you by, but you won’t be helping yourself. The material you learn at the end of the year is just as important as the things you were learning at the beginning. If you’re in advanced placement or dual enrollment classes, then your grades and work may still be counted toward your future college career. Plus, having pride in your work will help you no matter what you decide to do after high school. Working hard to achieve your goals will never be a mistake.

Go out with a bang

One of the best things about being a senior in high school is that people realize you are on the last chapter of your childhood. As a result, they tend to let you do more fun things in celebration. This is the perfect opportunity to do all of the things you’ve wanted to do with your friends before you all leave for college. Going on beach trips or mini-vacations is a great way to make your last memories of high school stand out. It’s also important to think about all the things in high school that you might enjoy but won’t happen in college. Things like Prom or club events that aren’t replicated on college campuses should be taken advantage of before you graduate. You won’t regret saying yes to a good time, and you could create stories that last beyond a graduation ceremony.

Spend time with your family

Possibly the biggest change between high school and college is moving out of your childhood home. If you plan on moving away for college or just moving out from your parent’s place, consider spending a little extra time with them. Your senior year of high school could potentially be the last time you live with your parents (and siblings). The dynamic of your family will likely change after you move out, so take time to appreciate the way things are before you leave. It can be hard when you’re a senior because you want to assert your dominance as an adult, but take it from a girl who calls her dad every morning and her mom every night: family matters. Snapchatting your brother and sister isn’t the same as walking in their room to talk to them. Enjoy your family while they are around; things will change in a few months.

Don’t be afraid of long-distance if it’s something you want to do

One of the questions I spent hours agonizing over my senior year was whether or not my high school boyfriend and I would stay together even though we were going to different colleges. Everything you hear as a high schooler is that long-distance is hard and it doesn’t work. My boyfriend and I are still together after almost two years of attending different schools. I know of at least three other girls who are also in long-distance relationships. It is definitely possible if it’s something you and your significant other want to try. It may not work out, but it also might work just fine. The point is, if you want to try it, don’t be afraid to.

Think about what comes next

As you wrap up the end of your senior year, it’s ok to focus a little less on the things that concerned you in high school. If you attend fewer sporting events or miss different meetings, that’s ok. It’s natural to become disenchanted with the activities you’ve been doing for the last four years, and it’s natural to be ready to move on. It could be valuable to think about your future during this time as well. If you already know where you will be moving after graduation, it could be beneficial to make sure you have the right clothing and materials for the weather. My brother moved from Florida to New York and didn’t buy a winter coat until the first snowfall. Don’t be like him.

Finances matter

A sad fact about being an adult is that it is expensive. When you think about your future, it’s also important to think about how you are going to pay for it. Taking time to apply for scholarships and grants could make your financial situation easier in the future. If you are going to take out loans to pay for school, you may want to consider getting a part-time job while you are in high school to save money and get ahead of the curve. Even if your parents are helping to put you through school, it won’t hurt to have some extra money put away for yourself. Your parents can track the money you’ve been spending when you use their accounts, and they may not be thrilled about the amount of taco bell, coffee and alcohol you consume while you’re away at school.

Don’t overwhelm yourself when choosing a college

When it comes to being a senior in high school, choosing a college can seem like the most daunting task in the world. It may seem like your entire life is riding on the choice you are about to make, but it isn’t. Choosing a college is an important decision, but it won’t dictate how the rest of your life will go. Your choice will only tell what the next four years will look like. It’s important to think about what you want to major in and the environment of the school and the surrounding area when you are making a decision. When I was touring schools, each school I left, I would say, “I think I like it here.” Eventually, my mom pointed out that I had said that about every single school, and I needed to make a decision. The best advice I can give is to go with your gut feeling. At the end of the day, if you get to a school and realize it isn’t for you, the decision isn’t permanent. You can always transfer.

Graduating high school is like standing on the edge of the deep end and not being able to see the bottom. It’s thrilling and freighting at the same time. But, the last 18 years have prepared you for your future. When you dive in, you’ll be able to swim. It might start out as a dogpaddle as you gain your footing in the new surroundings, but eventually, you’ll be a pro. You won’t even need a floaty.

Growing up I attended three elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. I moved a total of six times altogether: I have lived in Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Florida (twice), Missouri and Indiana. Each move taught me to love the new experiences that the world has to offer. It was the constant moving that sparked my interest in travel. Ever since I was young, I enjoyed spending hours in new places, trying new foods and collecting new stories to tell. Besides my six moves, much of my time is spent traveling to other cities within the United States. So far, my favorites have been New York City and New Orleans. The beignets from Café Du Monde made me want to cry tears of joy. My ultimate travel goal is to one day visit France. I desperately want to see the Palace of Versailles and walk through the Hall of Mirrors. While experiencing the world thus far, my taste buds have developed an affinity for coffee. Since the age of five, I have been an avid drinker. My body calls for coffee first thing in the morning and sometimes at night. I am a firm believer that all coffee needs caffeine. I also have a wicked sweet tooth and am willing to try any number of milkshakes, ice cream and doughnuts. My great loves are traveling, coffee and sweets; I also love to write. I hope to one day use my degree in journalism to tell other people’s stories in an entertaining and informative manner. It is also a part of my plan to attend law school. I look forward to experiencing all the adventures (sweets and coffee included) that life has to offer!