samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Highs and Lows of Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Studying abroad is an opportunity too little college students take advantage of, as only about 10 percent take the leap of faith and venture out of their comfort zones. Yet, for those who do explore, it’s expected, or at least hoped, that things will be smoothly sailing and that everyone will get along perfectly. An unfortunate reality I quickly discovered was that not only would unnecessary drama travel overseas with me, but that cliques are inevitable. Additionally, traveling on the weekends with the right group is easier for some and harder for others.

With all this in mind, here’s your quick breakdown to the highs and lows you may experience during your study abroad experience.

HIGH
You’re abroad – You managed to escape your comfort zone and leave your family and friends, which is an accomplishment difficult for many to achieve. Once you’ve reached your destination, there’s no turning back and you’re officially independent and responsible for yourself, especially if you’re going by yourself.

LOW
With or without friends, you’re going to need space. Even the strongest of bonds and cliques have their shake-ups. Like in your real life, if you hang out with someone too much you will get sick of her or him. You’re going to need space from your roommate or friend and may need to get used to some solo time.

HIGH
Food… enough said.

LOW
High school drama – The tragic return of high school drama may come around. Though everyone to some extent isn’t always completely real, you may find yourself questioning some members of your group to a deeper extent, and you’ll learn that some friendships are meant to stay abroad.  

HIGH & LOW
Going out – Girls, we actually have to pay cover to get into places, at least in London. Also, pre-gaming is necessary in all major, expensive cities like London. However, going out in England and Spain are part of some of my favorite experiences while abroad because the people and places you see make it worth it. The culture and vibe of every location seeps through any place you go out to.

Needless to say, I cannot generalize my own experiences with everyone else’s. I know people in other study abroad programs who have had no issues with their groups and have planned their trips early on. As long as you’re open and flexible with what you do during your time abroad, you will survive and enjoy your time. Just remember, no matter what, always try to look for the positive sides of seemingly unfortunate situations to make the most of your experiences.

Photo Credit: wavenuelife.com

Hey readers! My name is Andrea Carla Lopez, and I am currently a junior at the University of Florida. I am in pursuit of a dual-degree in political science and public relations as well as a certifications in international relations and global communications. My career goals are aimed at contributing to society through a non-governmental organization or intergovernmental organization in hopes that I can advocate for underpriviledged communities as well as help establish stronger international relationships amongst countries.  With Her Campus UFL I am excited to discuss social and political issues that are not only relevant to our millennial generation but also cover key news stories that effect our society as a whole. Although my articles may sometimes be on a serious note, I do genuinely hope to help get people's minds thinking and get conversations started. I do also do artist spotlights and occasionally cover television debates (yes, I meant Grey's Anatomy).  Feel free to follow me on twitter or instagram if you have any requests for an artist spotlight or really anything you think needs to be covered more on Her Campus UFL. Twitter: @A_CarlaLopez Stride on millennials!
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!