Hidden Gems of Netflix: The Television Shows You Didn’t Know You Should Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s 2 a.m., and you’re wide awake. The backlit glare of your computer shines brightly on your face. Are you up at the wee hours of the morning to finish that research paper you were assigned two months ago? No, you’re up because you’re dying to know what’s going to happen to Olivia Pope. Binge-watching Netflix TV shows isn’t just a hobby — it’s a way of life. But what’s a collegiette™ supposed to do when she’s finished watching all of the mainstream shows on the web? Instead of searching a sketchy (and illegal) website to stream a new show online, try one of these hidden gems of Netflix:

If you like The Office: If you’re a fan of The Office, Parks and Recreation and Arrested Development, try Better Off Ted. The hilarious office comedy has the same dry sense of humor as most sitcoms, but this one isn’t done in a mockumentary style. Its format seems refreshingly novel, even among its peers. Since the series only has a few seasons, it’s an easy commitment. If you’re in the mood for a fun 22-minute comedy, give Better Off Ted a shot.

If you like Grey’s Anatomy: I started secretly watching Grey’s Anatomy with my sister when I was in seventh grade. Now, as a sophomore in college, I feel like I’ve grown up with the cast. As much as I love McDreamy, I still need a little break from all the drama at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. If you’re a fan of medical dramas, I recommend Emily Owens M.D. Just like Grey’s, it’s a female-driven medical show with lots of tear-jerking moments; however, it has a little more of a comedic side to break up the tension. I’ll always return to my favorite doctors in Seattle, but I suggest stepping into a a different ER for the hour.

If you like Scandal: Olivia Pope is my spirit animal. She’s a motivated, high-powered woman who knows how to take care of business. But when Olivia isn’t ruling the White House, you need a new show to turn to. Enter Revenge, a gut-wrenching drama full of plot twists and suspense. You’ll get the same adrenaline rush watching Revenge as you do with Scandal, just without the political undertones. If you want to watch a bad betch do some darn good acting, Revenge is the show for you.

If you like Gossip Girl: Gossip Girl nails teenage television on every level. Killer fashion, killer actors and killer plot lines kept the series going for six killer seasons. Now that we know Gossip Girl really should’ve been called Gossip Boy (still not sure I understand how Lonely Boy Dan Humphrey was the mastermind behind the ingenious persona), an empty hole has been left in our hearts and TV schedules. Greek makes a very solid effort to fill the void. Greek was an ABC Family program… back when ABC Family had good programs. It centers around fraternity and sorority life on a college campus and includes the same things as Gossip Girl: relationships, frenemies and cute boys.

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.