HC UFL’s Ultimate Guide to Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’ve been dreading and yearning its arrival all semester long, but now it’s here: finals week. That means it’s time for those late night study sessions, unhealthy amounts of caffeine, and stress! Stress! Stress! Stress! Grab your study guides and your pillow; you’ll be sleeping in the library this week, but before you go, pack a few of these tips. Here is Her Campus UFL’s ultimate guide to a finals week in Gainesville:

THE ESSENTIALS
———————————–
1. The Perfect Place  
Finding a quiet place to study can seem really hard, especially when the library you need is filled to capacity. Library West is open 24 hours and will probably be the most crowded this week, so we suggest trying the library in the Career Resource Center at the Reitz during the day and Marston until it closes to avoid any disruptions – even sitting in an empty classroom will do the trick. 

Other places on campus where you can try to get your study on include: the North Lawn and Plaza of the Americas. These two locations are great for daytime studying; just grab a blanket and you’ll be good to go!

2. Sustenance 
If there’s one thing that can always ruin a productive study session, it’s an empty stomach. If you know you’re checking in at the library for an extended stay, pack a light snack and sandwich to bring along. For drinks, take water. You might get some coffee throughout the night, but you’ll definitely want to bring the H2O. Sometimes your body mistakes thirst for hunger, and water will help you stay awake and alert.

Be careful with how much caffeine you actually intake, and stay away from energy drinks. They may help you get through the next couple chapters, but eventually your body will start shutting down and the adrenaline rush will subside.

DO’S & DON’TS
———————————–
DO ask for help when you need it 
If your exam is at the end of the week, and you know you still have questions, get in touch with your professor. Find out if he or she has any more office hours, and set up a time to meet. You might not always be able to get your questions answered, but they can help you work through some of the tougher material.

DON’T cram
Waiting until the last minute will not only make you more tired than you already are, but it will also leave you more likely to forget the material. Set an equal amount of time aside per class each day leading up to your exam. This will help you feel more organized and prepared when test day arrives.

DO Check your exam times, and check them twice! 
There’s nothing worse than studying your butt off for an exam and missing it because you wrote it down wrong in your planner. Check your syllabus or the exam schedule on the UF Registrar website for information on the time and location of your finals. You’ll also want to get any supplies (pencils, paper, etc.) ready the night before. Most professors won’t let you complete the test if you show up late.

DON’T say, “Yes”
Having friends who don’t have to take finals or are already finished with their exams can be a pain in the you-know-what. While they’re out celebrating the end of the semester, you’re sitting in the library with your face buried in a textbook. As much as this stinks, you must know how to say “NO.” Going to midtown a couple nights before your big exam may seem like fun at the time, but you won’t be smiling when you see a less than satisfactory grade on ISIS a couple weeks later.

DO take a break
A change of scenery will not only wake you up, but it will also keep you motivated. Staring at the same people all day can get tiring (unless, of course, it’s the cutie from Chem Lab). Go to the gym, take a walk, or do some food shopping, but don’t sit in one place all day.

DON’T pull too many all-nighters 
We can’t emphasize this one enough, collegiettes! Getting an appropriate amount of sleep each night is essential to helping you stay awake during your test and remembering the information needed to pass! Eight hours is recommended, but try your best to get at least six!

———————————–

Something to remember:
Study the way you study best. If you’re more productive when you study along, don’t set up a time to study with your best friends. Chances are you’re just going to vent and gossip about the stupidity that is What Would Ryan Lochte Do?

Following these tips can be difficult at times, but keep them in the back of your mind and you’ll rock your exams!
In the meantime, if you ever find yourself feeling down this week, just remember who’s in your corner:

Good luck this week, collegiettes! 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.