This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

After growing up going to Halloween Horror Nights, I have patiently awaited the return of the beloved festivities. Last year, Universal had to cancel Halloween Horror Nights due to the threat of COVID-19. That means that the anticipation for this year has been through the roof for many eager fans. This year, Halloween Horror Nights will go from September 3 to October 31, so there are not many more opportunities for you to get your scares in. 

This year is also special because it celebrates the 30th year of the festivities. For the celebration, Universal has created a special house full of icons from past years. The house is led by the terrifying clown named Jack, who is the mascot of this year.

Although everyone is glad to see Halloween Horror Nights back in action, some people feel like the experience is not the same due to the new safety regulations that have been put in place.

COVID-19 Impacts

Of course, the biggest changes to Halloween Horror Nights revolves around tactics to keep attendants safe and healthy. Universal has frequent bulletins and announcements that outline their safety policy, which are a helpful reminder. They strongly urge no one to attend the events if they are sick or suspect an encounter with COVID-19. They do not require face masks in the parks or the houses, but they do encourage them. 

While in the houses, the most notable change is the inclusion of plexiglass as a barrier between guests and the scare actors. In my opinion, the dividers do not take anything away from the experience and help to keep people out of each other’s faces. Some of the scare actors wear masks in the houses, but only the ones who have costumes without some type of facial piece.
While out in the scare zones, I also noticed some changes. The scare zones have fewer crew members patrolling them, and they seem to do a great job of trying to create distance. Many of the scare actors are kept on a stage away from guests or tied to a specific zone. This does make them a little less entertaining, but it is still interesting to observe everything from afar. Overall, I was not bothered by the changes to the park.

The Best Scares

Although there were some subtle changes, the value of the scares was still high. There are 10 houses this year, five scare zones and two live shows. I have not been to any of the live shows, but they seem like a nice break from the hectic crowds. I have gone to Halloween Horror Nights three different times this year, and I have not been disappointed. This year, the “Beetlejuice” house is one of the more popular houses. This house always has a long line of guests waiting for a fun trip through the iconic movie.

However, the scariest house in my opinion comes from Netflix’s Haunting of Hill House, which manages to incorporate plenty of scares. This was probably my favorite house of all, as I love the show and was able to really see it come to life.

Another one of the scariest houses was The Wicked Growth. This house begins with an arch of glowing pumpkins and then takes you into a world ruled by an evil pumpkin king. This was a terrifying experience and worth the long wait.

Other top contenders include the “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” house or perhaps the gory Tooth Fairy one. Overall, I promise you that there are plenty of scares to go around. The Universal website includes detailed descriptions of all the houses.

Crowds

With all of the changes for COVID-19, I was very curious as to how attendance would be impacted this year. I have been on three separate occasions and was able to get into all ten of the houses each time. From my experience, it seems to be a little less crowded than it has been in previous years. On average, the lines are about half an hour each. Frequently, they are listed as being way longer than they actually are when you get in line. 

However, I have felt like it is crowded when walking through the streets, so it is difficult to really note the changes in attendance. One source discussed how the houses are frequently hitting capacity. I think that the crowds change depending on the night you go. If you are looking to make the most of your time and get in a lot of houses, then it would be best to go on a weeknight right at 6:30 p.m. when the doors open and the chainsaws start rumbling. 

As we quickly approach Halloween, the park will probably get more crowded, but it is also very fun to visit. Halloween Horror Nights has definitely proven itself as something that can’t be deterred by a year off, in my opinion, as they are back and better than ever! 

Minna is an English major at the University of Florida. She is a features editor for Her Campus UFL.