Halloween 2013: Finding the Perfect Costume For Your Personality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Long gone are the days of wearing the same old princess costume year after year and trick-or-treating with your parents before the sun goes down. As young adults, we collegiettes are now responsible for buying or making our own Halloween costumes, and with this, comes great freedom. Our parents most likely cannot dictate our outfit choices, and we are basically free to wear whatever our little hearts desire.

… But let’s not get too carried away!

What you choose to wear on Halloween tends to reflect who you are as a person. If you’re having a bit of trouble this year with deciding what to dress as, here are a few ideas to get you started:

1.     If you’re funny 
This is for the girls who always crack jokes and don’t necessarily mind making a fool of themselves in public. Go for something totally off-the-wall and unexpected, like a Teletubby, a woopie cushion, or DumbleDora the Explorer. If you want to dress up with a group of friends, be the cast of Jersey Shore in 50 years. It’ll be sure to get a laugh from your crush at the Halloween party, and it’s a great conversation starter!

2.     If you’re classy  
Though I’m sure there will be numerous wannabe Daisy Buchanans scampering around on Halloween night, The Great Gatsby is an undeniably great theme for emulating an elegant style. In case you don’t have a flapper dress on hand, try to replicate the impeccable class of Kate Middeton with a conservative blue dress, a pearl necklace, and a tiara.

3.     If you’re sporty 
Show those boys that sports aren’t just for them! Express your athletic side by dressing as a baseball, football, or soccer player. Those tight baseball pants will be sure to turn some heads on Halloween night! Other cute options include a boxer, a cheerleader, a referee, and a surfer. If you’re a fan of The Hunger Games, try dressing up as Katniss Everdeen, the epitome of female athleticism and strength.

4.     If you’re flirty  
Do you see Halloween night as an opportunity to meet and flirt with as many guys as possible? Then look for a costume that’s cute and eye-catching, like a nurse, maid, or sailor. If you’re feeling gutsy, this could be your chance to use your outfit to your advantage and try a cheesy pickup line on your crush. “Good thing I brought my stethoscope with me tonight because I really want to check you out!”

5.     If you’re creative 
It’s your time to shine and show how original and imaginative you are. Though you may have some ideas already, one unique idea I have seen is dressing as 50 Shades of Grey by wearing clothing items of all different tones of grey. Another inventive idea I’ve come across is being “Dunkin’ Donuts” by dressing as basketball players and putting a pool float that looks like a donut around your waist. The possibilities are endless!

6.     If you’re girly 
Still have a secret desire to fit into that tutu you wore for Halloween when you were five years old? Have no shame, girly collegiettes! Who says you still can’t dress like Cinderella and look for your Prince Charming on Halloween night? Pick your favorite Disney princess, or pull out that blonde wig to look like Barbie. If you’re looking for something a little more modern, try dressing like Elle Woods from Legally Blonde.

7.     If you’re musical 
Dress up as your favorite artist, no matter what genre it may be. If it’s pop, try Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, or Miley Cyrus (be careful with that one though!). If you’re into EDM, or Electronic Dance Music, then dress up as one of the girls from Krewella or as a music festival fan. Other options include Bob Marley, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry.

Photo Credits: 

1. www.collectionofawesome.com 
  2. www.g4tv.com 
  3. www.masky.sk 
  4. www.amazon.co.uk 
  5. www.squidoo.com 
  6. www.laurenconrad.com 
  7. www.rakuten.com 
  8. www.amazon.com
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.