alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guide to Summer Music Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Dreaming of going on adventures with your friends this Summer? If you can’t leave the country, try traveling to a different state! Sometimes the experience of road-tripping with your friends is better than taking a short 2-hour plane ride to get to your summer vacation spot. If you’re a music enthusiast and want to hear all kinds of genres in one weekend, plan your trip to include a music festival. There are so many to choose from. Here’s a list of the most famous summer music festivals all over the country along with their important details:

What? Beale Street Music FestivalWhen? May 2-4Where? Memphis, TNHow much? One day is about $40, three-day pass is about $115, VIP passes can range from $425 to $625.Start your summer off right with this three-day event in Tom Lee Park in Memphis. BSMF features a mix of blues, soul, and contemporary rock. Performers have included The Black Keys, My Chemical Romance, Ben Harper, and The Killers. This year’s performers are Kid Rock, Alabama Shakes, Foster the People, Snoop Lion, Juicy J, and more!

What? Sasquatch! FestivalWhen? May 23-25, canceled on July 4-6Where? Quincy, WA How Much? About $300.Don’t have plans for Memorial Day weekend? Travel to the Gorge in Washington to see headliners Outkast, The National, Queens of the Stone Age, MIA, Foster The People, Kid Cudi, Haim, and more at Sasquatch! this year. Although the festival pass includes general camping and day parking, the festival is already sold out. But you could probably find some tickets being resold online. Pack your camping supplies, and get ready for an epic weekend in the amphitheater. It’s located within the cliffs above the Columbia River!

What? Electric Daisy CarnivalWhen? May 24-25, June 20-22Where? New York City, Las VegasHow Much? Ranges from about $100 to $400 for NYC.For all you 18 and up EDM lovers, EDC provides you with two weekends and two different locations to rage. According to Fuse.com, the stop in NYC is just a pre-cursor to what’s going down in Las Vegas. Instead of having acts perform during the day, EDC’s performances take place between sunset and sunrise. DJs like Borgore, Krewella, and Calvin Harris go on at night with all intents and purposes of blowing your minds. Tickets for the show in Las Vegas are sold out, but you can still get them for the festival in NYC!

What? The Governors Ball Music FestivalWhen? June 6-8Where? New York CityHow Much? Ranges from $15 to $2,000Travel to Randall’s Island in NYC to see artists like Outkast, Jack White, Vampire Weekend, The Strokes, and Phoenix. The website advises you to bring dancing shoes and a good attitude, and nun chucks are prohibited. Hope for good weather because last year’s Governors Ball played through a tropical storm and a flash flood warning. Either way, the festival has a phenomenal lineup.

What? BonnarooWhen? June 12-15 Where? Manchester, TN How Much? General admission ranges from $235 to $285, and VIP is about $1,500.Get ready to camp out in Tennessee for one of the most incredible music festivals of the summer. With a fantastic lineup and outside sleeping accommodations, Bonnaroo promises an unforgettable festival experience. Headliners this year include Kanye West, Skrillex, Frank Ocean, The Avett Brothers, and Elton John.

What? Vans Warped Tour When? June 13-August 3Where? locations vary.How Much? Seems to be range from $50 to $60, but prices will vary with so many locations.No, it’s not a two-month long music festival. Warped Tour takes place all over North America, stopping in more than 40 cities throughout the summer. This year, the tour starts in Houston and ends in Denver. But not to worry! Warped Tour stops in Florida three times, holding festivals in St. Petersburg (July 25), West Palm Beach (July 26), and Orlando (July 27). The festival is hosting more than 100 artists, so you’ll just have to see them for yourself!

What? Firefly Music Festival When? June 19-22 Where? Dover, DE How much? Ranges from about $300 to $2,000Really don’t want to miss out on Outkast? Lucky for you, they’re going to Dover, DE to perform again for the Firefly Music Festival. Other headliners are Foo Fighters, Jack Johnson, and Pretty Lights. The festival is only 3 years old but has featured great lineups, so this year is sure not going to disappoint!

What? LollapaloozaWhen? August 1-3Where? Chicago, ILHow much? More than $1,000 at this point.Make your way to the Windy City for the last amazing music festival of the summer. Lolla hosts a wide range of musical talents like Eminem, Kings of Leon, and Skrillex. Cheaper ticket options are sold out, but the website is offering other packages so that you don’t miss out on once-in-a-lifetime experience. Out of all of these concerts listed, I’ve been dreaming of going to a festival like Lolla for the last two years. My cousin went in 2012 and said it was the best weekend of his life.

Avoid a dull weekends at home this summer, and go listen to some live music in a new city. Save up some money, and make the trip to one of these phenomenal festivals to have the best weekend of your summer! A new place with great music and old friends is a guaranteed good time with memories that will last forever. With these new options for summer adventures, you’ll be sure to have a great summer break, collegiettes™!

Hi! My name is Kristia, but I also go by Kris. I'm from Miami, but now I'm at the University of Florida. I'm a second-year public relations major and a member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Some of my favorite things to do are painting, reading, blogging and finding new music.I'm a cat person. My favorite place in the whole world is Costa Rica. You can check out my personal blog at thehiddenbeats.wordpress.com
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.