Grrrl Talk: An Introduction to the Musings of a Feminist in Training

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Welcome! You have just stumbled upon my very own little corner of the Internet where throughout the year I will be spending time musing about some issues that interest me, a budding feminist, and my journey into a land of social justice.

I say “budding” feminist because I realize that throughout my life I will constantly be reading, learning, and discussing feminist theory as well as learning about myself and how I can apply my passion for women’s issues in useful ways. Now, when I’m not out searching for ways to smash the patriarchy, I’m usually attending classes at the beautiful institute of the University of Florida where I major in Public Relations. You’ll also probably find me working with the gals over at UF’s Women’s Student Association where I serve as Vice-President helping promote female leadership and empowerment. Anytime else, I’ll most likely be enjoying myself a good ol’ cupcake, or heck, doing it all at the same time (and I’m only a sophomore!)

Look, there I am on the right at WSA’s 4th Annual Women’s Welcome Assembly! The two goofballs to my left are both my roommates and some of the very best friends I’ve ever had the pleasure to make.

“That’s all well and fun, Sarah,” you may say, “but why is the ‘Grrrl’ in ‘Grrrl Talk’ spelled so funny?” Well, dear reader, the term “grrrl” was originally coined by the feminist punk rock movement “Riot Grrrl.” It essentially means “girl” but the roll of the rrr’s is meant to be reminiscent of an animalistic growl used to represent aggression and a kick-butt attitude in the face of oppression.

My goal throughout this journey in the blogosphere is to help promote discussion and analysis on issues that face women on an everyday basis. You’ll find me talking about things that could very well vary from the harmful consequences of Photoshop on body image to the hypersexualization of women in the media to the offensive significance of Miley Cyrus’ actin’ a fool at this past year’s VMAs. But I guess you and I will just have to wait and see! So thanks for stopping by and, most importantly, don’t forget your way back!

Hello! My name is Sarah and I am currently a sophomore studying Public Relations at the beautiful University of Florida. I am a feminist, a lover of cupcakes, an admirer of the arts, and a life-long student. My goal in life is to always learn and love and to help others, as well as myself, surround themselves with good vibes.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.