Group Fitness: More Classes Can Mean Less Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

After the first month of classes, adding more to your agenda is probably the last thing on your mind. Schedules are packed with practices, papers and draining your energy faster than you can empty that Starbucks Venti Caramel Macchiato (extra shot of espresso, please). You may not want to waste a second of free time, but spending hours at the library can actually make it harder to stay focused.

Take a study break and swap your textbooks for tennis shoes. Both Student and Southwest Recreation Centers offer more than 25 group fitness classes throughout the day. Regardless of if you’re looking to recharge or to relax, classes last an average of 60 minutes each (perfect for penciling into your busy day).

Beat the Afternoon Study Slump
Especially on a rainy day, an afternoon of lectures and Library West can have you wishing you were back in bed. Instead, wake up with a high-intensity Step or BOSU Conditioning class. Kick it into gear with Turbo Kick, a kick-boxing class that combines elements of sports drills and hip-hop dancing. Try a 30- or 45-minute indoor cycling session that takes you through sharp inclines, rolling hills and fast flats, all from air-conditioned comfort. For those who enjoy the outdoors, Stadium Conditioning and Outdoor Training offer a fun mix of jogging and drills at different spots throughout campus.

Keep Calm and Carry a Yoga Mat     
When pre-exam stress starts to set in, you may be pulling your hair out trying to remember everything, bustle everywhere and try to handle it all. An hour of Hatha Yoga can help clear your mind as you focus on breathing and relaxation. Multi-tasking becomes enjoyable as you work on posture, flexibility and core strength in a mat-based Pilates class. Can’t decide? The fairly-new fusion class, Yogalates, combines both relaxation and toning effects for a total mind and body experience.

Shake Up Your Routine
Losing focus after spending hours in front of the computer? Step away for an hour of Zumba, a quick-paced fusion of Latin dance and interval training. Shake up your homework routine with a new set of steps in an Urban Hip Hop or Hip Hop Hustle class. No previous dance experience is necessary. If you have a flair for the exotic, try your hand at the fun, rhythmic style of a Belly Dance class that targets your core muscles. If you’re still looking for new experiences, both Recreation Centers offer special group events throughout the year.

A full schedule of classes is available online here.

Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.