Girl Crushes: A Female’s Bromance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I remember the day very clearly. It was my junior year of high school and I was meeting a friend for lunch. I got dressed early, feeling too excited to wait. I did my makeup with a sort of nervous enthusiasm, which resulted in smears of eyeliner across my cheek and spilt foundation all over the counter. My hair wasn’t cooperating, so with mounting tension I brushed, straightened and fiddled until it looked just right. I was early, so I waited, and waited, and waited some more.

All the signs were there; the nervous butterflies, the flushed-red face and the tense, jittery hands. I had a crush on my lunch-date. The catch? She was a girl.

Now, any guy who hears you say the words “girl crush” is no doubt picturing scenes of Amanda Seyfried and her erotic girl-on-girl action in Chloe, but the reality isn’t so sexual. What I had was more like an infatuation. This girl was pretty, outgoing, athletic, and intelligent; in short, everything that I wished I could be. I idolized her and would do just about anything to befriend her. I copied her clothes and mimicked her humor. It was like a scene strait out of Bambi, where she was Faline and I was—excuse my 90’s reference—twitterpated. If I didn’t know it then, I know it now. I had a full-blown girl crush.

According to UrbanDictionary.com, a girl crush is defined as “feelings of admiration and adoration which a girl has for another girl, without necessarily being a lesbian. A girl crush is a nonsexual attraction, usually based on veneration at some level.” Essentially, it’s the girl’s version of a bromance.

Now, I’m not a lesbian and frankly this feeling was comparable to my long-time celebrity crush on Harry Potter star Emma Watson (I’m still waiting for my letter from Hogwarts). Having a girl crush means you admire that person, want to befriend them and, in many cases, wish you could be them. Most often, we develop these crushes on girls who have certain traits we admire but are lacking. The phenomenon isn’t new, either. Social scientists believe that throughout history young women developed feelings of affection toward each other as part of the evolutionary process. These olden-day girl crushes helped women bond and allowed them to work together in society.

My junior-year girl crush eventually faded and I moved on to bigger and better things (hello Megan Fox). However, there’s something to be said for all us girl-infatuated colligates. Whether you’re crushing on the girl next door or on a celebrity you’ve never met, girl crushes are like exciting romance wanna-bes. They’re a way for us to learn about ourselves and—if you’re like me— it’s a fun way to have a fling without the mess of a breakup after it’s over.

http://www.ourvanity.com/images/girls-laughing.jpg
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/11/fashion/thursdaystyles/11CRUSH.html?pagewanted=all