Culture > News

Girl Boss 101: How to Stay Informed & Educated on Current Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Staying informed can be hard. It can be overwhelming and seem like a huge time commitment to keep up with the news, but it’s a lot easier than you think. Staying up to date with the news does not mean you have to sit down on your front porch for hours and flip through the newspaper while sipping your coffee. Current events don’t need to be monotonous and boring. 

Staying up to date with the news is not a priority for most people, but it is important that we always know what is happening in the world that we live in. 

With social media and digital outlets, it’s easier than ever to stay educated. There’s no excuse to not be when the world is right at your fingertips. From the college admissions scandal to the Green New Deal, here are some ways you can easily stay up to date. 

Newsletters/Briefs

These are quick and easy to digest ways to get your news.

The Skimm

At around 6:30 a.m. every morning, The Skimm will email you all you need to know about news in the United States and beyond. With their quirky puns and references, I can count on The Skimm to break down even the most complex of topics. When I’m looking for a fun and informative read in the morning, The Skimm is my go-to.

The New York Times’ Morning Briefing 

The New York Times sends a morning brief at 6 a.m. and a nightly brief at 6 p.m. The briefings are straightforward and to the point, and you can always rely on them to cover the world’s most pertinent topics. Plus, on Fridays there are news quizzes you can take to test your knowledge on current events.

The Atlantic Daily

The Atlantic Daily is similar to The New York Times briefings in that it’s straight to the point and a great way to get your news.

Podcasts

Too busy to read? We all have time to pop in some headphones while walking to class. Why not turn off the Ariana album (that we all know is still on repeat) for a little bit and listen to some of these podcasts?

The Daily by the New York Times

These podcasts are about 30 minutes long but cover interesting topics and give you a run-down of all that you need to know about current events. One listen to the podcast and before you know it, its jingle will be stuck in your head.

Up First by NPR

Covering everything from pop culture to politics, Up First episodes are about 15 minutes long and will give you the quick recap you need. 

Being more aware of the world around you will do nothing but help you in the long run. It makes you more well-rounded, and it gives you something to talk about in interviews or with colleagues. We have a responsibility to stay informed. Even downloading an app of your favorite news outlet and turning on the notifications is a good way to keep up with breaking news. Above all, make sure that you find the time to learn more about the world around you and what is going on in it.

Even with our busy schedules, we should all find time to be the girl in the know.