GFW 2011: Runway Shows Round 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

More than 200 people packed Villa East Thursday night to see Gainesville Fashion Week’s first set of runway shows. Silver Chinese lanterns hung from the ceiling, 140 chairs lined the white runway and flashes from photographers lit up the room.

From 6:15 p.m. on, music pumped steadily, readying the gathering crowd for the night’s festivities. GFW patrons of all ages visited the lobby’s refreshment tables for drinks as the lights flashed, alerting them to the show’s start.

At exactly 7:29, GFW producers Gwen Rahn and Tiffany Williams welcomed the audience and introduced the show’s emcees. Flavia Cervantes and Julian Andrew took the runway to announce the eight designers to be featured.

We were there to get the scoop. Read on for details!

1. 1oz

What we saw: The 1oz show revolved around a 1960s-east-Los-Angeles clash of style and culture. The outfits featured mainly metallic graphic tees paired with simple shorts and skirts in a variety of vivid colors. The models, an even mix of males and females, wore mostly casual clothing – think bowling alley chic.

What we liked: The details and accessories of 1oz’s designs set this show apart from the start. Male models were styled with temporary tattoos, bandanas, and even a pair of Beats headphones. Females wore big hoop earrings, red lipstick and a variety of color extensions woven into their updos.

What we’d wear: Our pick from 1oz is this Warhol-inspired ensemble. Colorful yet casual, this outfit would be perfect for a summer shopping spree!

2. Mesh

What we saw: Mesh’s show started with swimwear, but seamlessly transitioned to summer dresses and tunics. The models wore nude makeup and long, loose hair to complement the simple, solid-colored designs.

What we liked: This is the ultimate springtime collection. With everything from banded bikinis to strappy sundresses, Mesh’s combination of unique prints had us anticipating each model’s emergence. Loose-fitting and open-backed, these clothes keep the wearer cool and stylish.

What we’d wear: We adored the cute cutouts on this peach top! Paired with simple dark jeans and trusty flats, this look is comfortable enough to wear to class. 

3. Viscosity Vintage

What we saw: This is the first year GFW is featuring vintage clothing. Viscosity Vintage’s designs reminded us of Spencer’s (from “Pretty Little Liars”) wardrobe. Models wore classy and unique pieces created from bright prints and a mix of textures.

What we liked: This collection had a European vibe, which the models rocked – their hair was twisted back under netted veils and quirky hats. High-waisted shorts made the models’ long legs look even longer! Pieces from these outfits could be mixed and matched and still fit together flawlessly.

What we’d wear: We consulted UF student Tessie Penin on her favorite from Viscosity Vintage. “I loved the red dress,” she said, referring to an elegant knee-length dress, adorned with a bow on the right shoulder. “It was high fashion. Very runway.”

4. Emerging Designers’ Showcase

What we saw: Francine Elizabeth’s collection was dressy and daring with colors and prints. Nikera Clothing was comprised of bathing suits and blazers in pop-art hues, while Jafari Jahaghi’s had elegant gowns appropriate for cocktail parties.

What we liked: Even though these designers didn’t have a full collection to present, each definitely established their trademark image. Francine Elizabeth showcased pencil skirts and empire waistlines. Nikera Clothing’s suits – whether one or two pieces – were practical but flirty. Jafari Jahaghi’s dresses were smooth and streamlined.

What we’d wear: Our pick from the three designers’ creations is Jafari Jahaghi’s black cocktail dress. It’s adorable – a sheer paisley print over tulle plays up the simple black top. We’d wear it to an end-of-the-year banquet!

5. Sui Generis

What we saw: The first model to come out was reminiscent of “Pretty in Pink”’s Duckie – in a good way. The rest of the vintage collection followed suit. We saw a lot of short pants, high socks and loafers. Sui Generis’s eclectic designs, like the bright pink capris and floral scarves, took a fresh detour from mainstream style.

What we liked: The models looked straight out of the past. They were accessorized with old-school glasses and jewelry. Their hair was styled accurately – males’ hair was slick with gel, while females wore pinned curls. Their bags, briefcases and even a fanny pack, completed the time-travel experience.

What we’d wear: We’d wear this basic navy dress embellished with gold buttons and belted at the waist to get coffee with friends.

6. Zella Machado

What we saw: Swimsuits… and lots of them! One pieces, bikinis and combination suits comprised Zella Machado’s collection. She used bold colors and strappy ties to keep each piece unique and fun. By the way, kudos to the models for confidently strutting their stuff in these designs!

What we liked: Even though this collection was all bathing suits, each design was different from the last (as well as anything else we’ve ever seen). Asymmetrical lines, twisted tops and details like braided belts and bows ensure that the wearer never blends in on the beach. The models’ hair was windswept and woven into a loose side braid, which made the complete look relaxed, yet posh.

What we’d wear: Honestly, we’d wear any (and all) of these pieces. If we had to pick one, we’d want the orange and blue bikini with ruffles. Modest yet girly, this would be suitable (ha!) for lounging around by Graham Pool.

The night drew to a close around 10:30 p.m. to applause and cheers. The producers emerged to thank Sephora and Scissors Salon for doing the models’ makeup and hair, and to invite everyone to the show’s after party at Sharab Lounge.

As the audience packed up, people buzzed with discussion about what they’d just seen. Alyssa Infante, a UF student, was more than satisfied with the night’s events.

“I’m super impressed,” she said. “This is such a production,”

Be sure to check out Her Campus’s coverage of Saturday night’s runway shows, as well as the rest of Gainesville Fahion Week. 

Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.