GFW 2011: Rocketing for the Arts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Stepping into Gainesville Fashion Week’s Gala for the Arts was like stepping into a world outside of Gainesville. Swanky jazz music played in the background at Jolie Events as guests dressed in breathtaking floor length gowns and clean-cut tuxedos mingled with drinks in their hands. Tables were adorned with pink (this year’s theme!) tulle or white-feathered centerpieces, giving the event a unique, yet sophisticated touch. 

And then there was the art—the reason this all came together. Pieces from various artists and photographers from Wednesday’s art show were all on display for the silent auction, including the live art produced by Evan Poirier and Hector Galvez.

Not to mention the large amount of gift certificates, gift packages and donated items being auctioned off.
For art enthusiasts, there were beautiful and abstract pieces, as well as photos. For fashionistas, there were gowns from Jacqueline Brooks and Bobby K. For sports fans, there were donated football tickets and an autographed football. For foodies, there were gift certificates from just about every delicious restaurant in town. There was something for just about everyone.

All proceeds from the event are going to Rocket for the Arts, a non-profit organization that promotes quality art programs in schools.

Guests were treated to performances by Jazz Trio Karl and Ali & Peter while designer Jacqueline Brooks showcased her exclusive women’s formal wear designs.

Dinner, provided by Zuzu, consisted of mouth-watering Italian favorites such as bruschetta, chicken marsala and pasta primavera.

Producer Albey Coronel said that it has been a goal from day one to host an event benefitting something they think is important. This year, GFW wants to pave the way for the next generation of artists and innovators in the local community.

“If we don’t create strong art programs now, there won’t be a GFW or any event like it in 10 or 15 years,” he said.

Coronel said what’s important is that GFW will help schools who don’t even have art supplies.

“It’s mind-boggling,” he said. “The thought of not having art programs around.” 

Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.