Life > Experiences

Getting the Spring Break Trip Out of the Group Chat (The Gen Z Way)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As your semester routine starts to solidify, you might already be daydreaming about Spring Break during that one class that always seems to take forever – I know you have one in mind. If you want your Spring Break plans to go further than sending the group chat an Airbnb you found a TikTok with a half-hearted “we should book this” message, then set a date for a planning party! Make some mocktails and have some Pinterest inspo on hand: We’ve got a trip to plan.

Before diving too deep into booking your hotel and mentally planning your cute brunch outfit, one thing must be settled first: the budget. If this is a subject that members of your group want to keep private, anonymously writing down a price range on a piece of paper and putting the figure into a jar is an option. Important prices to factor in are gas prices (or plane tickets if y’all are planning on #catchingflightsnotfeelings), food (while traveling and vacationing), experiences (scuba diving, bungee jumping, museum visiting, etc.), souvenirs (if you can’t say no to that trucker hat with your destination on it) and the toiletries you will inevitably forget (does anyone else always leave their loofah behind?).

Once the budget is out of the way, y’all can get creative!  You and your girls can talk about the Spring Break mood you’re going for. Are y’all wellness girlies looking for a destination with nature trails, Pilates classes and organic juiceries? Beach girls seeking ocean waves and tans? City queens wanting subway rides, tucked-away coffee shops and honking horns? A mix of the three? Consult Pinterest and spend 15 minutes making a trip mood board to compare and contrast with each other. Find similar themes in everyone’s boards, such as sunset beach pictures or mountain bike rides. Once you have a consistent vision, you can start looking for towns near you, or far away, that give the same energy.

Another important step is deciding if you want to book a hotel or a peer-to-peer rental service like Airbnb or Vrbo. Both have pros and cons, and the decision also depends on the number of people in your group, the amount of time you plan on spending at the house or hotel and the different sleep patterns of your squad. If you’re rooming with a night owl when you’re used to falling asleep at 8 o’clock, or vice versa, having different rooms might be appealing. Booking a hotel with a kitchenette or an Airbnb with a kitchen might allow you to save a little money on eating out. Or, staying in a hotel with lots of included recreation options, such as mini-golf or swimming, could help you save on experiences. Because the budget and the mood have already been decided, narrowing down lodging should be easier.

Once the location is set, you can start searching for things to do while you’re there! A simple Internet search will introduce you to the typical tourist attractions, which can be a lot of fun; after all, they’re popular for a reason! You can also scour travel blogs, Instagram hashtags and Tiktok vlogs to find some hidden gems. For instance, I follow an Instagram page that shows off places to go in a town 30 minutes away from me, and I’ve never heard of any of them! Refer back to your mood board as needed for fresh inspo.

When you know what you’ll be doing on your trip, you can pick out some outfits to wear! Lookbooks can help you shop your closet with a fresh eye. Or, if everyone in the group agrees, you can each offer up some clothing items for sharing and shop each other’s closet to save a little extra money for the trip!

Now all that’s left is to pack the suitcase! Whether your jet set to the California beaches or road tripping to the Tennessee mountains, enjoy your vacay with your girls.

Caroline Crews is a third-year public relations major at the University of Florida. As a PR major, she enjoys nerding out about consumer analytics and campaign design. Caroline has used her education to design social media plans for both non-profit and for-profit organizations, create targeted email campaigns, and construct the branding of several organizations. When Caroline is not immersed in the field of PR, you can find her going on a walk, spending time with friends and family, or making a pot of coffee.