Getting Students Involved with Naomi Abraham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Naomi Abraham wasn’t your typical college freshman.

At just 18 years old, she snatched a leadership role as the Indian Student Association’s freshman liaison and began working her way up the ladder.

Now a 21-year-old political science senior, Abraham serves as the organization’s president.

“I identify with the South Asian community,” Abraham said. “I felt comfortable with the organization, and I liked what it stood for. I also thought it could use some improvements and thought I could try to implement them.”

One of her biggest improvement achievements was establishing the organization’s first “Freshman Leadership Experience.” Using a mentor-mentee system, the program allows first-years to better associate with ISA’s members and become involved.

Abraham said one of the most rewarding responsibilities as president is working with the different people on her staff.

“Hearing their ideas to improve the organization and acting on them usually produces positive results,” Abraham said. “I think the small things count.”

Between school and her responsibilities as president, Abraham said time management is stressful. Abraham spends an average of 10 hours a week on ISA duties while juggling her coursework.

She offered advice for students feeling overwhelmed with schoolwork and activities. Abraham said learning to delegate was a crucial lesson because it helps her divvy up duties and be a responsible leader.

“Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize,” Abraham said. “When I have a break from schoolwork I put as much time as I can into ISA. That way, during my tougher weeks, I can afford to not take on as much and trust others to put in more work.”

Regardless of whether it’s a career-oriented group or a cultural organization like ISA, Abraham encouraged students to be a part of the campus community.

“I think it’s imperative for everyone to get involved,” Abraham said. “It’s how you establish another identity; how you help define who you are through what you do. “

Abraham offered advice for young students adjusting to the college experience.

“College is one of the best times because these are the years we can totally focus on ourselves,” Abraham said. “We ought to use this time to determine what kind of leaders or members of society we want to be. And while we’re establishing who we are, we have to remember to be professional, consistent and classy.”