Gelato & Avventura: Going Out with a Bang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Ciao! Dobar dan! ‘Ello! Hallo! Top of the mornin’ to ya! Spring Break was absolutely incredible! In 12 days, I traveled through Croatia, London, Berlin, and Ireland — it was a run-on adventure. It’s hard to describe all of my experiences, so I will break them down by country and write about my favorite memories!

Let me start with Croatia, one of the most beautiful countries I’ve ever visited! We took an overnight ferry from Ancona, Italy, to Split, Croatia, and then took a bus to Plitvice. What an adventure! We got lost for two hours in the Croatian countryside, and we even saw snow (keep in mind, we had packed our bathing suits!), but we finally found our cabin and had an amazing time in Croatia. We visited the Plitvice National Park and found one of my favorite places in the entire world — incredible waterfalls and nature, what more could a girl ask?

Next stop, London! My friends and I are broke, so we didn’t want to spend money on really expensive public transportation. What does that mean? Walk for 12 hours straight! We walked from London Bridge to Big Ben, Abbey Road, and Kings Cross — I couldn’t leave without a picture of Platform 9 ¾! The city was absolutely incredible, but my only complaint was the exchange rate — pounds are double the dollar, yikes!

After a day and half in London, we moved on to Berlin and fell in love! I stayed with my roommate Nina, so we got a great local experience. We biked through an abandoned Nazi airfield, visited the Berlin Wall, and saw some great art. My favorite part, however, was breaking into an abandoned amusement park; it was perfectly eerie.

At first, I was scared to jump the fence, but then I thought, “Carpe Diem!” and just went for it. We saw an abandoned arcade, a Ferris wheel, and even a roller coaster. After leaving, we found out that the movie Hanna was filmed in that spot — it’s on my must-watch list now.

We left Berlin much too soon, and for our fourth stop, we went to Ireland! It’s a small country with so much culture. We first landed in Dublin and visited the Temple Bar area — the Irish really do know how to party. The next day, we took a tour through the Burren and then to the Cliffs of Moher — it’s one of my favorite places in the world! Ireland was definitely an experience.

I have two weeks left in Rome now, and I can’t wait to make the best of it. Thanks for sharing all my adventures with me, collegiettes™ — have a great summer! 

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.