Gator Glam: Your Go-To Guide for Dressing an Outfit Up and Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Here’s the usual dilemma I ponder while shopping: what event am I shopping for and how often am I going to wear this cute top or skirt? The answer is easy —learn to dress whatever you’re wearing up or down to create an outfit that fits the look you want. Your favorite top can be used in infinite ways if put together with other pieces of clothing that complete the look you want to achieve.

Dressing up your look

The key to dressing up your look is to add polish to it, which can be done by adding accessories to it. A chunky necklace as a statement piece for your outfit will manage to add the poise and sophistication you want to add to your now-elegant outfit. Helpful hint: keep your clothing simpler than your accessories, if you plan to dress it up with accessories only.

1. Prints and colors

Being attentive to the prints and colors used is essential to dressing up your look. Bold prints with attractive colors look sleek and modern, and give a sense of a more refined look. The same goes with neutral, earth-toned colors. Brighter colors look good, but remember to keep the look simple. Do not mix and match too many colors or prints, as that could end up looking more like a casual outfit rather than a formal outfit. (If that is what you are looking for, then awesome! You do you.)

2. Night vs. day

The trick to dressing up your look is to pay attention to how it can be worn at night. For example, a sundress with sandals and small accessories make for a day outfit. To dress up that same sundress, you can put on some platforms and add a chunky necklace and/or earrings to go up a level. Your favorite top paired with an A-line skirt or flared pants, rather than jean shorts, also make a huge difference.

This yellow A-line skirt is the cutest, right?! It ties the whole outfit together as more elegant! If you wear it to go out on a Saturday night, then it’s mostly already a formal outfit. For a more professional look, match your favorite top with wide leg pants with a blazer, which also looks stunning with jeans and stilettos.

Amanda Stenberg is on trend with the blazer and wide-leg combo.

3. The shoes

This is a very important part of the outfit, ladies and gentlemen! This is also the trickiest part, because not everyone is into heels or platforms, and it’s totally cool to not like them! Adding heels is not the only way to dress up your outfit. Other ways can make you obtain that polished, formal look you want to create. Closed toed shoes, like ballerina flats, are very comfortable and add the grace you want to add, without having to sacrifice your feet. On another note, for those who love heels: wear them, because they help your getup look more dressy. It’s like a law, I do not know why. Plus, the extra height, don’t hurt, right?

Zendaya’s outfit can be either dressed up or down just by changing the shoes. These gorgeous white pumps give a more formal and sophisticated air. If the shoes changed to white sandals, for example, the outfit would be of a more casual look, yet still stylish.

4. The hair

Finding the right hairstyle is the easiest part, believe it or not. Think of your outfit and decide if you want your hair to harmonize with your whole look, or be daring and create contrast. To dress your hair up, styling it as ‘tidier’ is not the mandatory way to go. Be creative with it and go with the type of hairstyle that makes you feel more comfortable. Some good ideas, though, are creating a cowlick at the crown and doing a voluminous ponytail by teasing the ends, or a topknot (a trend in the red carpet, too , just saying). Use your hair to draw some contrast to your whole outfit —if your outfit is edgy, do a pretty braid or a sleek ponytail. If your outfit is sophisticated and more to the girly side, feel free to embrace your kinks!

Ariana embraces her beautiful mane in this voluminous ponytail by also crimping it to add an edgier side to her feminine outfit.

Dressing down your look

1. Stay comfy

This is easier than having to amp up your outfit. The purpose of casual clothing is that it’s more sporty than formal clothing. You want to be able to move easier and give your skin space to breathe. Let’s talk shoes: if you are walking around campus or just want to dress more casually, sneakers or cute sandals paired with a floral print dress or shorts work. A trend seen frequently these days is pairing a tight mini dress with thigh-high boots. This is an easy-A on both formal and casual events.

2. The simpla’, the betta’

Dresses are always great for anything, either for a casual meetup with a friend or a more formal meeting. As for making it casual, simple accessories (think small necklace and small earrings) and cute shoes, like sandals, of your choice do the trick. The prints and colors also play a huge role in how your getup looks. Opt for beautiful florals and/or brighter colors—go crazy. Jackets (jean jackets, hoodies, etc.) also dress down your look, while making you look more sporty (and making you feel like it).

Jhené Aiko wears a gorgeous print romper while choosing to wear with what seems to be towering platforms, and completes her look with simple accessories, creating a stunning look for day and night. 

But really, just wear what you want —day or night, sundown or sunrise, winter or summer, to the beach or to the office. The beauty of fashion, and waking up and creating an outfit is that one can express oneself through that. The most important thing to remember is that you wears what you feel comfortable wearing, and not paying attention to what others say.

Photo credit: berabbity.com, stealherstyle.net, twitter.com, fabmansion.com, vogue.com, celeb-life.com

Kimberly is a Puerto Rican native while temporarily located in Gainesville. She is double-majoring in Journalism & Graphic Design. She likes to drink tea and coffee (not in that order), as well as fantasize about her future life in NYC or London. You can find her reading the news or watching crime/murder documentaries on Netflix.