Gator Glam: Winter Travel Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Although finals are glaring us in the eyes, it’s important to look forward to the much-needed break that’s soon arriving, and some of the fun trips many of us have planned for the holidays! I’ve learned that because of finals, I’m usually stuck throwing some outfits together last minute and being extremely unprepared and uncomfortable when it comes to vacations. Here are some quick tips to help when deciding how to dress while traveling.

1. Dress: Sometimes it can be difficult to pick out your outfit when you know you’re going to spend hours either sitting in a tiny airport seat or running from one terminal to the next. It can be even more confusing when you’re leaving sunny Florida and heading to a city where winter actually means snow and freezing weather. There’s also the added factor that you may not be going straight to the hotel once your plane arrives, but instead you might head off to sightsee or grab food. It’s important to plan ahead and pick an outfit that’s a good mix of cute and comfortable, such as jeans, a loose T-shirt, a cozy cardigan and comfy shoes.

2. Face: If you have an early flight, or if you’re anything like me and hate putting on a full face of makeup for the entire day, it’s probably a smart idea to just put on some concealer and mascara, and keep the other necessities in a carry-on bag or purse. A natural face goes with all outfits, and you can always put on the rest of your makeup while waiting for a flight or right after getting off. This way, your makeup will stay fresh and you won’t have to worry about it rubbing off during your in-flight nap.

3. Hair: Doing your hair for travel is more of a personal preference. Some people would prefer their hair down and natural, so they don’t have to deal with it getting messed up on the plane, while others would rather have it up and out of their face, like in a pretty French braid or ponytail. With hair, it’s a good idea to base your style off how long the flight will be, what the weather is going to be like once you get there and how well your hair holds certain styles for long periods of time as well. An easy yet put together option for minimal stress and prep time is a fishtail braid.

Here’s an extra tip: Don’t forget any toiletries that might be a little hard to reach in an emergency if they’re stowed away in your checked luggage. It’ll also be easier to get them out for the security check! Wishing you safe and stylish travels this holiday season, collegiettes!

Hi, my name is Kelli Eichorn. This spring I am a fourth year Telecommunications major, specializing in Media and Society and minoring in Anthropology. I love reading and writing, and have a strong passion for both print and broadcast journalism, as well as social media and it's influence on society. My dream is to one day write for a major fashion magazine. This is my fourth semester being involved with Her Campus and I am so excited to be serving as a blogger for GatorGlam! GatorGlam is a blog about beauty, makeup, and skin care for the "Florida" girl. Some of my favorite things include spending time with my sorority sisters, going to the beach, naps, animals, and listening to music.
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!