Gator Glam: Trend Alert —Neck Scarves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This past year has definitely seen a resurgence of the ‘70s: chokers, flare jeans, and bell sleeves include just some of the flashback looks we’ve seen. In addition to those trends comes another well-known ‘70s style: neck scarves. (And no, they’re not just for flight attendants anymore.) Here are some of the “who, what, where, when, why’s, and how’s” that you should know for this week’s trend alert on neck scarves.

What are neck scarves?

Simply put, neck scarves are thinner and shorter pieces of fabric than regular scarves. Due to the trend right now, you can buy a variety of them from retailers such as Target and Urban Outfitters, or you can always go to your local Joann’s fabric store and make your own using a neck scarf pattern.

Who is wearing neck scarves?

Celebrities such as Vanessa Hudgens and Leighton Meester have been seen wearing neck scarves while out and about and even at high profile events. Designers such as Marc Jacobs recently included the accessory in parts of their runway show, as well. Needless to say, the fashion world is slowly but surely incorporating parts of ‘70s culture back into today’s pop culture.

When can I wear neck scarves?

Neck scarves are actually ideal for all types of weather —it just depends on the type of material. In the fall or winter time, thicker types of scarves would be better suited for the colder weather. If you’re looking to add a neck scarf as more of an accessory, then a silky and/or lightweight fabric will work for any season, especially during spring and summer.

Where can I wear my neck scarves?

Whether it’s going to class, running an errand, or participating in a formal occasion, a neck scarf is definitely a fun and flirty way to amp up your outfit. It is a versatile accessory guaranteed to add some flair to your look while providing a bohemian touch. You can wear one for decorative purposes (as discussed next) or even for more practical purposes like in the colder weather.

How can I wear/style my scarves?  

You can wear your neck scarves on your neck (of course), but there are so many different ways to style your scarf. The name itself can be misleading, but make no mistake: this accessory is very versatile. If you’ve already tried of wearing them around your neck, try tying one around your wrist for a new type of bracelet.

Handbag seems a little bland? Tie a scarf around one of the handles to instantly create a new look. If your scarf has enough fabric, you can even make a headband out of it or tie it around your ponytail’s elastic band.

Overall, neck scarves are a huge trend to look out for in the upcoming seasons. Channel your inner bohemian goddess and invest in a quality neck scarf to stay on top of your fashion game!

Photo credits:

pinterest.com, refinery29.com, tumblr.com, bundlemonster.com, popsugar.com

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.