This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

“But why don’t you leave your hair curly! If I had curly hair, I would leave it curly all the time!”  No, you wouldn’t. If you are a curly-haired gal, chances are you must be tired of these comments, and the hair straightener is your partner-in-crime. Well, I’m going to share a secret that will blow your mind and change your life forever: you can, in fact, leave your hair curly. You might be incredulous and ready to stop reading by this point, but stay with me for a minute. As a fellow curly-haired girl myself, I will give you some tips that will make you see your curly mane as a blessing and not a curse.

1.     Let it grow.
Although this tip might not be able to be applied immediately thanks to the forces of mother nature, it is a tip a stylist once gave me and has stayed with me ever since. I would always have a shoulder-length cut, and although it was cute, it was not the best for my curly hair. One of the main complaints from curly-haired gals is the uncontrollable frizz and volume they experience. But by growing your hair longer, you add weight to those uncontrollable curls, and make them much more manageable. If you need a little bit of outside help, taking one Biotin vitamin daily will not only help grow and strengthen your hair, but it will also benefit your skin and nails. Long hair, don’t care, baby!

2.     Hair products are your friends.
Instead of always reaching for your hair straightener, spend some time at your local CVS or Walgreens to see what hair products they have for curly hair. Believe it or not, most of them work wonders. My favorite drugstore mousse is Dove’s Style + Care Mousse. It doesn’t leave your hair crunchy or dry, and your curls will look embrace the natural look!

Application of the product is key. If you have layers, make sure you separate the layers and apply mousse on each separate layer. 

3.     Don’t brush your hair.
You may think I’m crazy at this point, but you need to trust me on this one. The only time you should brush your hair is when you are applying conditioner in the shower. For that, use a wide toothcomb to untangle any knots. Other than that, brushing your hair will only create a frizzy mess and undo any gorgeous natural curls that form. Towel-dry your hair after the shower, and immediately apply the product of your choice. Then, you can say goodbye to your brushes!

4.     Try washing your hair less.
You might think it’s impossible to go without washing your hair for even just a day, but let me tell you the difference is incredible. I trained my hair to go without washing for approximately a week. Gross, right? Not quite. If you start washing it less and less, it might be a greasy mess at first, but your hair will get used to the cycle and start depending on chemical shampoos much less. Curly hair acts much better without them, and your hair will embrace the natural feel and get shinier and shinier as time goes by. Try it!

I hope my tips help you get jealous stares from all the girls that spend hours with a teasing comb. Until then, embrace that curly mane!

[Photo credit: April Mitchell] 
[Dove’s Style + Care Mousse photo credit: coolspotters.com]

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.