etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gator Glam: Summer Is Terracotta Territory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When you think of terracotta, images of clay pots and glazed ceramic jewelry may conjure up in your mind. The color itself is often described as a rusty orange, or maybe even a burnt sienna. While some may think these shades of orange are reserved exclusively for the fall time, I beg to differ. Terracotta reminds me of summer sunsets and vases full of blooming summer flowers. Recently, I’ve noticed terracotta being used not just as a seasonal color but also in a wide variety of products from apparel to jewelry and accessories. Here are some trendy ways I’ve found to get your wardrobe ready for a terracotta takeover this summer.

1. Use it in an oversized blazer.

Summer in Florida is always incredibly hot. Tight-fitting blazers may not work well if you are trying to avoid sweat stains (even though we all should know by now sweating is just a natural bodily function). So opt for an oversized blazer in terracotta to stand out. Depending on whether or not you are comfortable with showing some extra skin, play up your blazer with a midriff-baring two-piece set to stay cool and look sizzling!

2. Pair it with another earthy color like olive green.

Terracotta is a great color to use in the summer because you can create so many different color combinations with ease. As shown on the model above, olive green is a good color to pair with terracotta and really gives a casual summertime vibe. Pair your outfit with some trendy neutral sandals for a laid back and classy outfit.

3. Accent it in a small handbag.

If you feel like you would rather get into the terracotta trend gradually, invest in a bag that has the color in its accent design. When given in small doses, terracotta can actually be used as a neutral shade year round.

4. Wear it in a flowy top.

Just as described for wearing terracotta in an oversized blazer, donning it in a flowy top is a smart and cool choice for summertime weather. Terracotta also goes great with denim shorts, and as shown in the picture given, pairs nicely with a Panama style hat.

5. Accessorize with it in a necklace.

This is another option if you want to just get a taste of the terracotta trend without much commitment. Collared necklaces are still a huge craze right now, so if you are thinking of incorporating terracotta into your jewelry, choose the collar necklace shown above from Charming Charlie.

6. Dress it up in a skirt.

Planning on going out a lot this summer? Then you may want to start investing in a terracotta colored bottom. The skirt shown above demonstrates how to dress up the color for nighttime wear with a white bodysuit. You could even switch out the white with another color, such as black or gray, and the result would still be summertime chic.

7. Soak up the sun with it in a swimsuit.

Terracotta is a handy color choice for the beach when you don’t want to be too bright with neon or too neutral with black and white. It is a great pigment for tribal-inspired prints, and gives an exotic feel to any bathing suit design.

As always, let this list serve as inspiration for your closet and not as a definite end-all for styling with terracotta. Get started on your summer fashion plans now and try out a few of these tips to see if you are ready for a terracotta takeover!

Photo credits: charmingcharlie.com, wanelo.com, ae.com, forever21.com, nordstrom.com

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.