This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Makeup is so much fun to play with. There are so many colors and types of the same kind of makeup for a girl to try, and at the end of the day, you get to take it off and create a different look the next day. Sometimes, makeup can also be a pain with all the different choices and steps taken to achieve the look you’re going for. These are just a handful of tips to keep in mind to make things simpler and a lot more beautiful the next time you’re applying makeup.

1. Add oil to your foundationI know this might sound strange and bring fear that adding oil will ruin your favorite foundation. Don’t be scared! Just add one drop of face oil to a cream or liquid foundation, mix and get ready to be amazed. Your foundation will give your face its usual coverage but keep your skin looking oh so natural. Oils like jojoba, almond and argan will work just fine for this.

2. Tape your way to a cat eyeIf you’re like me and still continue to struggle with creating the perfect cat eye, this one’s for you. Take a piece of regular Scotch tape and place it beneath your bottom lashes, angling it towards the end of your eyebrow. Now, swipe on your favorite liquid eyeliner as you usually would, and let the tape be your stencil as you draw out your cat eye as large and long as you want. When you peel the tape away, you’ll be left with a winged out look that any perfectionist would be proud of.

3. Wipe off excess mascaraThis tip is so simple yet so effective that you’ll wonder how you never thought of it yourself! You’ll never have to worry about clumping of your eyelashes ever again after this. If you own a mascara that seems to constantly clump, just take a piece of tissue paper and wipe off the wand until it’s mostly clean. This quickly and easily removes the buildup of product on the wand that seems to happen after a few uses. In just seconds, you’ve made your favorite mascara feel brand new!

4. Get rid of under eye circles for goodSometimes, even the most full coverage concealer doesn’t seem to do the trick when hiding the lack of sleep under your eyes. Just add a peach or orange colored concealer or corrector beneath your usual under eye concealer, and you’ll immediately see a difference. The peach or orange color will counteract the blue of your under eyes to make them seem instantly brighter.

5. Spray away a cakey faceI’m just as guilty as the next girl when it comes to accidently overdoing it on my foundation and powder, leading to a very unflattering cakey look. Next time you’re out shopping, look out for facial spray of some sort, which is usually really cheap. Just spray this all over your face  next time you go a little overboard with your makeup, and it’ll help to make your skin look a little more natural and less made up.

I hope these tips will make the application process of your makeup much easier from now on. Again, makeup is not permanent and something that can be changed day to day. If you don’t like the way something looks on you, just keep experimenting and playing around in front of the mirror until you do find something you like. As always, keep looking good, collegiettes!

Photo credit: www.proteckmachinery.com