Gator Glam: How To Survive Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When it comes to Black Friday, you’re either still recovering from yesterday’s feast or you’re camping outside the nearest Target. If you tend to lean a little more toward the latter, then you know that you can’t just blindly walk into your favorite store come Friday morning. Here are some tips on how to survive the most exciting shopping day of the year.

What to wear:Black Friday is not the time to be breaking in that new pair of boots, ladies! If you’re planning on letting your shopping adventure last all day, then keep comfort in mind when getting dressed that morning. I’m not saying don’t look presentable, but keep your outfit simple so you can concentrate on scoring the best deals. I would suggest a simple T-shirt and cardigan paired with black leggings and a pair of flats or comfy boots. Not only will you be comfortable, but it’ll also make things a lot easier in the dressing room if you plan on trying on a lot of clothes.

Shopping tips:1. Make a list. If you haven’t started yet, I highly suggest creating a shopping list of places you want to check out and items you’re looking for. This will save you many unnecessary headaches. Plus, it allows you to get a better idea of what your budget is.2. Only bring cash. It can be really easy to forget how much you’re spending when you’re on a shopping high, so only bring cash if possible. It’ll force you to stay within your budget.3. Think before you buy. Don’t buy something just because it’s on sale. Yes, that sparkly sequined top may be 90% off, but how many times are you really going to wear it, and is it going to survive a wash? Save those few bucks for a better deal.4. Avoid the dressing rooms. There will be long lines, and it’ll save you time to check out the rest of the stores on your list. Try the items on before Black Friday so you already know which size to get when they go on sale.5. A crossbody purse will be your best friend. A shopping day must-have, crossbody bags were made for avid Black Friday shoppers.6. Follow retailers on social media. “Like” your favorite retailers if you don’t already to stay updated on the latest deals, and snag online-exclusive coupons.7. Wait it out. If you’re not one for crowds and just feel like staying in on Black Friday, there’s always Cyber Monday, when you can find some of the best deals online from the comfort of your bed snuggled up with some hot chocolate.

Deals to look forward to:1. H&M: From Nov. 20-29, you can expect 70 percent off select items.2. Old Navy: 50 percent off the entire store.3. The Body Shop: The Body Shop’s Black Friday tote will be available in stores and online this year. The tote, filled with 14 products with a $125 value, will be only $30 on Black Friday.4. Vera Bradley: Free holiday tote with a purchase of $100 or more.

With these tips and tricks to surviving Black Friday, you’re ready to shop ‘til you drop. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, collegiettes!