Gator Glam: How to Look Instantly Polished

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Looking presentable in the morning can be a challenge, especially for those of us who just aren’t the early bird type. You might sleep through your alarm and consequently throw on anything that’s clean. Or maybe you find whatever is in plain view and half-heartedly decide, “Sure, this looks decent.” Perhaps it’s not even a morning problem but actually an all-day dilemma. If you find yourself in these situations but still want to look like you tried, I compiled this handy list of quick and easy tips to help you appear more polished with minimal effort.

1. Accessorize with pearl earrings.

If you ever have any doubts on how to instantly polish an outfit, your first go-to item should be a pair of pearl earrings. Simple and sophisticated, pearl earrings are guaranteed to go with pretty much anything and should be an essential in every girl’s wardrobe.

2. Throw on a classy blazer or cardigan.

A nice blazer or cardigan immediately transforms an otherwise sweet or casual outfit into a professional and refined look. Don’t know what to wear? Grab a basic monotone tank top, your favorite jeans and a classy blazer or cardigan to effortlessly create a chic ensemble.

3. Wear a pair of black flats.

They doesn’t necessarily have to be black flats, but combine any pair of neutral-toned flats with an outfit, and you will instantly look more ladylike. If you want to take it up a notch, invest in a nice pair of textured flats to add an interesting element of dimension!

4. Put your hair in a bun.

For this tip, I’m not talking about the kind of messy bun you put up when you are about to wash your face, but rather a neat bun. When you put your hair up in a neat bun, it evokes the elegance of ballerinas and the beautiful chignons they construct.

5. Sport an elegant watch.

If you don’t have time to throw on a classy outfit, at least you can tell time in a fashionable manner! I personally prefer smaller watch faces with leather straps, but find an elegant watch that suits your preferences and put it on whenever you feel your outfit needs a little glamour.

6. Add a quilted cross-body purse.

It certainly doesn’t have to be from a name brand, but a simple quilted cross-body purse gives the impression of a classy and put-together lady, even if you just grabbed it while running out the door. Again, if you are in a rush and can’t put together a polished look with your clothing, accessorize instead!

7. Dress in all neutral colors.

Dressing in all neutral colors will help you avoid the mess that comes with trying to match bold colors with each other. There is something about the understated simplicity of dressing in all black, white or in between that makes it a very important tip for dressing tastefully.

8. Tuck your shirt into your pants or skirt.

Tucking your shirt in is a five-second quick fix that helps create clean lines in your outfit, and as a result makes you appear polished and attentive to your ensemble. This is a personal favorite for me, as I love to show off the lines of my clothing.

9. Swipe on a little powder and a dash of tinted lip balm.

This piece of advice is for those who have a little more time to spare. I tend to have a lot of red in my face, so swiping on some powder and lip balm does wonders to help me look and feel more confident.

10. Wear an elegant headband.

If you wake up and just know it’s going to be a bad hair day, investing in an elegant headband will help to combat those bad-hair-day blues. Simply tie your hair up in a neat ponytail or bun, slide on the headband and you’re good to go for a quick and classy updo.

Remember, it’s okay to have those days when you feel like dressing up in nothing but an old camp T-shirt and a pair of comfy sweatpants. We are only human, right? However, if you ever decide that you want to spruce up your appearance, this useful list will always be there to help you out.

Photo credits: hamiltonjewelers.com, wheretoget.it, modcloth.net, elle.co.za, iwatchau.com, macys.com, glamradar.com, gurl.com, veramoorecosmetics.com, pinterest.com

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.