Gator Glam: Fashion Spotlight on Local Designer Kimberly Millien

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I had the chance to sit down and interview an amazing fashion designer by the name of Kimberly Millien, who is located right here in Gainesville. Millien is a 23-year-old French major at the University of Florida. Born in Miami, Kimberly grew up with two older brothers, Kirby and Frantz, both of whom are artistically inclined, and her dad Frantz, who is a musician. Keep reading to learn about this gal’s passion for fashion!

HC: How long have you been sewing and on the fashion scene?
KM: “I have been sewing since my freshman year of high school, and I didn’t become a fashion designer until my third year of high school. I took sewing as an elective in high school and I realized that I was very good at it. It kind of inspired me to keep going.”

HC: Who taught you how to design clothes?
KM: “My sewing teacher back in high school, Mrs. Doret, taught me everything I know, and from there I began to get better at my craft.”

HC: What exactly do you want to do with fashion design?
KM: “After I graduate the University of Florida, I want to create more fashion lines for my fashion business that I have just created called Killa Style Fashions. Then the plan is to travel to Paris to pitch my materials to big fashion corporations in hopes of building my own fashion house. Honestly, at first I wasn’t too sure what I wanted to do with my French major, but after getting more deep into [it], I realized a key aspect that could ultimately help me into building a successful career. Paris is known for their fashion and after learning almost everything there is to know about Paris, their language and culture, I will feel more eager to venture out and pursue my passion for fashion.”

HC: How many fashion pieces have you designed so far?
KM: “I have made over 30 pieces since high school so far, and I will continue to make many more in the future. I used to just design for fashion shows, but I currently have been making different clothing pieces for individual people at the university.”

HC: Do you see yourself keeping your designs local in Gainesville only?
KM: “No, I would love to have my designs in New York or Paris — somewhere that my fashion would be more appreciated and well known. Overall, I want my designs to go worldwide. I want the whole world to see what I am capable of as far as creativity.”

HC: If your passion is fashion design, why are you majoring in French?
KM: “My passion is fashion of course, but UF didn’t have a fashion program. French is the next step from my native language, Creole. Also, I want to travel to Paris one day, so French would help me communicate and learn the language.”

HC: What are the pros and cons of designing clothes?
KM: “I would say the best thing about being a fashion designer is seeing my sketches come to life and being able to feed my creative mind. Also, making things that I never would have thought I was capable to create. The worst thing about it would be reaching the point of having my designs not come out the way I envisioned it, or having creative block and not being able to create a design at all, which is the worst. Although this is true, I don’t believe that there are no such things as cons when you are doing something that you love and [doing something that] makes you overly excited about the success of your future.”

HC: What advice would you give other fashion designers with the same goals as yourself?
KM: “To keep going, perfect their craft each and every day. Always keep an open mind when it comes to a new design. [Accept] constructive criticism because it is your friend, and put your heart into everything you create. Also, keep working on it! The less you work, the less skilled you will be.”

HC: How can someone get in contact with you if they are interested in your fashion designs?
KM: “To contact or know about me you can find me on Instagram: @killastylefashions or @kimberlymillien, [email me at] kimberlynillenbooking@gmail.com and YouTube at kimberlymillienmusic.”