etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gator Glam: The Essential Spring Break ’16 Packing List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Planning on traveling this spring break? If you are, it is inevitable that you will need to construct a laundry list of things to pack for your trip, which can be dull but ultimately necessary. Sometimes we get so caught up with reminding ourselves to pack items, such as our toothbrush and retainer (if you still remember where yours is), that we forget to include some trendy basics in our suitcase. With that being said, here is my list of what I consider fashion essentials to any sunny spring break trip.

1. White Blouse
You can’t really go wrong with a white blouse. Throw it on with some jean shorts and you’ll look instantly polished. Unbutton it and wear with a dress to add a casual-chic vibe. I included this because there are so many combinations you can achieve with a simple white blouse, which means not having to pack excessively.

2. Romper
Rompers are great for when you just want to pop something on and go. If you are traveling somewhere and happen to have a spontaneous beach trip, layer a romper over your swimsuit so you get great coverage and you look cute!

3. Jean Shorts
Jean shorts should pretty much be a staple for every girl’s spring break wardrobe, if not their wardrobe in general. They pair nicely with almost any color tank top or shirt and are durable enough to last through a beach day or a hiking trip. Your white blouse that you packed combined with some jean shorts make for a simple yet chic and reliable outfit.

4. Cute Swimsuit
This should be a no brainer for any spring break trip, especially if you live in or plan on traveling around Florida. A cute swimsuit helps you feel confident and should make you feel good. Whether it’s a one-piece, two-piece or anything in between, pick out a swimsuit that makes you feel the most comfortable so you can strut your stuff in the sun.

5. Versatile Dress
A versatile dress is one that can be easily transformed from a day trip upstate into a night excursion downtown. Having one of these is great because it means having to pack one less piece of clothing for going out, and it creates more room in your suitcase for whatever souvenirs you buy or collect from your spring break trip.

6. Knapsack
A knapsack is a bag meant for all types of weather, meaning it would survive trips to the springs as well as any light rain that might fall during a hiking trip. Not to mention, it’s a stylish accessory to carry around if you want to look as adventurous as you feel on your spring break trip.

7. Sunglasses
Another spring break essential, a cool pair of sunglasses will keep you looking like a superstar while protecting your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays. Pro tip: Keep a few pairs of cheap sunglasses in your bag in case they accidentally get stepped on from too much spring break fun.

8. Trendy Sandals
They don’t exactly have to be “trendy,” but make sure you pack at least one pair of sandals that can pretty much go with any outfit. Shoes can get really heavy once they start adding up in a suitcase, so having a pair of versatile sandals will help keep your packing load light.

9. Floppy Hat
Again, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a floppy as long as you pick out a hat that properly protects your face and matches your sense of style. Whether it’s a floppy hat or a baseball cap, a good hat is great for a spring break trip because it allows you to be cool and comfortable wherever you travel.

10. Tinted Moisturizer with Sunscreen
If you are planning on keeping your beauty routine low-key throughout your spring break trip, then a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen is a must-have. It appropriately provides you with just enough coverage for stray blemishes, and also keeps you protected from any strong sunlight that may arise wherever you journey.

As always, use this essentials list as a guideline on what you prioritize bringing with you. Maybe you lean more toward baseball caps than floppy hats, or wish to bring some lightweight sneakers instead of sandals. Whatever choices you are thinking about, just remember to stay strong through the upcoming exams — you’ll be soaking up the sun in no time. Spring break can’t come any sooner!

Photo credits: annakastle.com, ae.com, forever21.com, tumblr.com

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.