This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For the past few weeks, Fall/Winter Fashion Week 2016 has been dominating the runways of cities across the world. You are probably wondering, “I thought it was spring? We just came from winter!” but in the fashion realm, you always have to plan a step ahead. Runway trends can usually be over the top, but I compiled a list of trends seen from this past fashion season and cast them in a more wearable light.

1. Leopard print

This ferocious print hit the catwalk in abundance this season and brought an exotic jungle feel. While it is quite daring to sport a whole outfit of leopard (hopefully faux), you can add a bit of the animal print into your wardrobe with accessories, such as a pair of printed flats, so it doesn’t completely overwhelm your ensemble.

2. Candy colors

Pastel hues are a must for spring, and even though lots of candy-colored clothing items hit the FW15 runway, it looks like they are here to stay for the duration of the year. Colors like lavender and lemonade can easily be incorporated into a flowy shift dress and are easy go-to pieces for dressy-casual wear.

3. Denim blues

Rocking an all-denim outfit takes a special kind of self-assurance. If you are like me and can probably only handle one denim item at a time, investing in a jean jacket is the best way to show off this trend.

4. Off-the-shoulder

Off-the-shoulder pieces are cool, sexy and playful, which are great vibes for the springtime. Look for this trend in shirts, dresses and even rompers to help you soak up the sun while also looking chic.

5. Ruffles

An abundance of ruffles can easily overwhelm small frames and look messy when paired with other lavish details. To keep it simple, choose a basic top with a few ruffles in order to highlight the trend and also maintain a chic and sweet ensemble.

6. Large floral print

Just as pastel colors are big in the springtime, so are floral prints. From this runway season, we can see that large floral prints are taking center stage ahead of smaller, more detailed prints. Use this otherwise predictable trend to create dramatic flair, and invest in a larger-than-life dress or other eclectic floral print item.

7. Accordion pleats

Accordion pleats instantly transform an outfit by giving it a touch of sophistication and class. As shown in the photos above, saving up for a nicely made accordion-pleated skirt really pulls a classy ensemble together and gives it a ladylike feel.

Let the runway be your inspiration, but not your end-all for fashion trends and styles. You have a style that is all your own, and these should help inspire you into finding what makes you feel like a confident fashionista.

Photo credits:
popsugar.com, vogue.com, poshmark.com, lulus.com, shein.com, stylesforless.com, blogspot.com

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.