Gator Glam: 6 Different Ways To Wear A T-Shirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Many people seem to underestimate the power of a great, simple T-shirt. There is an infinite amount of ways to wear this classic piece. My personal favorite is the V-neck shirt because I feel that it adds a feminine touch and flatters every figure. No matter what your style is or what mood you’re in that day, there’s a T-shirt for every look. Here are just six easy ways you can rock a T-shirt.

1. Pair with a jacket.
You can add a blazer and wear it with jeans and cute flats for the ultimate preppy look, or go for a more edgy look by adding a leather jacket and a pair of booties.

2. Add a statement necklace.
This trick is great to add that perfect something for whatever look you’re aiming for. Add a pop of color for a cute spring outfit, or a chunky, sparkly necklace to add some edge. Long, layered necklaces with a V-neck can create a relaxed, bohemian look.

3. Wear with jeans or a skirt.
My favorite thing to wear to class is a pair of light-wash, ripped jeans with a T-shirt for a casual and comfy look, while still looking like I tried a little bit more than just wearing workout clothes. But for the times I feel like dressing up a little more I can add a skirt instead. I tend to gravitate toward a trendy maxi skirt to create a more girly feel.

4. Style with a scarf.
By wearing simple colors, like all black, and then adding a pop of color with a scarf, you can really liven up your look and take your clothes through every season. Wear all white and add a bright orange scarf for the perfect summer look, or you can go for all grey with a light blue scarf for the coziest of winter looks. I love this trick because it allows me to utilize all of my clothing items no matter what time of the year it is.

5. Go for a loose tee.
I seem to always find myself with my mom’s old, oversized T-shirts that might be a little faded, but instead of throwing them away, I make the shirts my own. By tying a little knot to the side at the bottom of the shirt, I create a very laid-back look that is comfortable while also trendy. This trick is great for those days that I may not feel my best because it’s loose enough to not feel restraining and tight, while still form-fitting enough to not drown me out.

6. Transform it from day to night.
Combining all of these tips make plain T-shirts the perfect piece for those days you have to change quickly from a casual day look to a fashionable night outfit.  Wear your plain tee with your favorite pair of jeans and Converse for a flexible, comfortable school day outfit, and then switch your jeans for a high-waisted mini skirt, your converse for a cute pair of heels and add a chunky statement necklace for a chic nighttime look.

T-shirts are simple but limitless in their endless ways to wear for any style imaginable. This makes T-shirts a great investment as they’re inexpensive and never go out of style. So next time you see some T-shirts on sale, don’t hesitate to buy every color in the store.

Photo Credits: Maxine Grossman

Maxine Grossman is a second-year Public Relations major with a concentration in business at the University of Florida and is so excited for the opportunity to do what she does best for Her Campus UFL: write about fashion. When Maxine is not staring at Pinterest fashion boards or wandering around shopping, she can be caught eating sushi, devouring cups of coffee and tea, or munching on some delicious macarons. Besides writing for Her Campus UFL, Maxine is also an active member of UF’s Panhellenic life and enjoys spending time with friends, traveling, and painting.