Gator Gamedays Are Over… Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

What is there to do now that we’re not spending nearly every Saturday of the semester tailgating and attending Gators football games? At first, you may not have an answer because it’s a depressing thought, but the spring semester is the perfect time to explore Gainesville. Even without a car or scooter, it’s still possible to go on adventures around campus or Gainesville itself. Here are a few ideas to get you started:

1. Take a trip to Lake Alice Bike, run, or walk to this beautiful lake, which is situated south of Museum Road across Fraternity Row. Pack a picnic and a board game, and enjoy the view. With a church nearby, you’ll have a chance to spend part of your day in peace and meditation. It’s an afternoon well spent with friends when you’re at Lake Alice. It’s totally worth it to go out of your way to explore the parts of campus that aren’t on your daily walk to class.

2. Walk Downtown It might be a far walk, but there are several independently owned restaurants Downtown that all students need to try while living in Gainesville. My personal favorite is The Gelato Company. Have you ever had avocado-banana ice cream? If not, you can try it there. After grabbing a bite to eat, you can hang out at the Bo Diddley Community Plaza or watch a play at the Hippodrome State Theatre.

3. Go to the library On the weekends, Library West and Marston Science Library are both open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Let’s face it: Sunday is cramming day for everyone in Gainesville. Why not stay ahead of the curve and get a head start on Saturday? The libraries will most likely be pretty empty on a Saturday, so it will be easier to concentrate. This will help you avoid the inevitable stress that comes with Sunday afternoons, and it gives you plenty of time to double check any work that’s due Monday.

4. Spend the day at Lake Wauberg Lake Wauberg is full of fun activities that make it the perfect Saturday destination. With your Gator 1 card, you have the opportunity to play volleyball, swim, rock climb, kayak, and tan on the beach. If you don’t have a car, there is now a bus that travels there every hour from campus on Saturdays. RTS Route 128 shuttles to and from the Reitz Union between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Take advantage of this great new resource to save some gas money.

5. Squeeze in a work out Did you vow to get in better shape for 2014? As much as we say we’ll go to the gym, sometimes it’s hard to muster any sort of motivation to actually do it. Use your free time wisely and take a group fitness class, or make your own exercise routine. Working out early in the morning will give you the burst of energy you need to be productive for the rest of the day. The gym isn’t open on gamedays in the fall, so now is your chance to work Saturdays back into your exercise routine.

Rather than spending crazy Saturdays hoping the Gators will finally win a football game, put your mind at ease with these relaxing alternatives. Saturdays in the spring can be just as fun as gameday Saturdays if you visit any of these five places!

Photo Credits:1. www.flickr.com 2. www.pap.med.ufl.edu 3. www.guides.uflib.ufl.edu 4. www.phhp.ufl.edu 5. www.alligator.com

Hi! My name is Kristia, but I also go by Kris. I'm from Miami, but now I'm at the University of Florida. I'm a second-year public relations major and a member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Some of my favorite things to do are painting, reading, blogging and finding new music.I'm a cat person. My favorite place in the whole world is Costa Rica. You can check out my personal blog at thehiddenbeats.wordpress.com
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.