A Gator Collegiette’s Guide to Homecoming Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In the midst of research papers and midterms, there is one thing Gators have to look forward to: Homecoming. This week students can put aside their stress and focus on unleashing their school pride. The Huffington Post ranked UF as one of the top 15 universities in the nation with the most school pride. That being said, we take Homecoming week very seriously around here. In order to help you take part in this year’s activities, Her Campus UFL has compiled a list with everything you need to know about getting involved this week.

MONDAY: Homecoming Pageant The Homecoming Pageant is basically UF’s version of Miss Congeniality, except there’s no violence and no Sandra Bullock. This time-honored tradition will take place tonight at 7 p.m. Clear your schedule, and come out to see the best and brightest students at UF compete for the crown. During the pageant, the top three men and women will be selected. The winners of this year’s Homecoming Pageant will then be crowned King and Queen at Gator Growl on Friday.

TUESDAY: Talent Night Have you ever wanted to take on the role of Simon Cowell and be a judge of talent?  If your answer is yes, then Talent Night is your chance. It will be held Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Curtis M. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. UF students will have the opportunity to showcase their talents in front of the Student Body and compete for a chance to perform at Gator Growl.

FRIDAY: Gator Gallop If you enjoy some fresh air, this Homecoming activity is for you. The Gator Gallop is a two-mile race through campus Friday at 11:30 a.m. Students and alumni of all skill levels are encouraged to participate. What better way to exhibit school pride than a morning jog around campus with your fellow Gators?

FRIDAY: Homecoming Parade Immediately following Gator Gallop, the Homecoming Parade will commence Friday at noon.  The parade will feature hundreds of floats made by local organizations and businesses. Come out, snap a pic with Albert and Alberta, and enjoy the show.

FRIDAY: Gator Growl Known for being the nation’s largest student-run pep rally, thousands of students anticipate Gator Growl. This year’s acts include Ludacris, Foster the People and comedian Brooks Wheelan. This year’s Gator Growl will take place Friday on Flavet Field, and the doors open at 5 p.m. Make sure to buy your ticket in advance because you won’t want to miss out on this UF tradition. With new features like food trucks and a beer and wine garden, they are “keeping the tradition of Gator Growl alive while reinvigorating what students have come to assume the show will be,” said Devin McDaniel, the event’s executive producer and a senior marketing major.

SATURDAY: Alumni BBQ Make your way over to Emerson Alumni Hall three hours before Saturday’s game to tailgate with the UF Alumni Association. The Alumni BBQ will feature appearances from both the UF cheerleaders and our beloved mascots. Food and drinks will also be available for purchase. This event is for Gators young and old. So come out, make some new friends, and get excited for a night full of football.

SATURDAY: Homecoming Football Game This year, the Florida Gators will be taking on the Missouri Tigers at 7:00 p.m. in the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Deck out in orange and blue, and come on out to cheer the Gators to a victory over Missouri with 90,000 fellow fans. Make sure to practice your Gator Chomp and rehearse “It’s great… to be…a Florida Gator!” and you’ll be ready for the night of excitement that lies ahead.

Hopefully some of these activities caught your interest. Pick a couple of the events that sound appealing and commit to going. Homecoming Week can be filled with memories you cherish for the rest of your life if you take the initiative to get involved. Happy Homecoming, Gators!

Morgan is a public relations freshman at the University of Florida and is a new addition to the Her Campus UFL team. She recently moved to Gainesville from the small city of Deltona, Florida in order to embark on a new journey in her life. She is best described as a motivated individual who does everything to the best of her ability and likes to look good while doing it. Morgan is passionate about fashion, online shopping, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. In her free time she enjoys retail therapy, catching up with her friends and family, spending time outside, and cheering on the Florida Gators.