Gainesville Farmers Markets to Visit this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Gainesville is the perfect place to find locally grown produce, gorgeous flowers and artisan crafts. While many of the farmers markets in Gainesville are open year round, this time of year is when most fruits, veggies and plants are at their peak. With spring in full bloom, it’s time to load up on fresh groceries from baked goods to organic greens. Eat fresh, buy local and make sure to check out these local Gainesville farmers markets.

Haile Farmers MarketWhen: Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.Haile Farmers Market is one of the best markets in the area. It’s a one-stop shop for grabbing local produce and other products like eggs, meat and even seafood. The market also features prepared food by authentic vendors who specialize in their types of cuisine including Greek and Japanese. Fresh-pressed juices and homemade dips are just a couple of the indulgences offered here, along with mustards and jams, gluten-free treats and much more. But it doesn’t stop there; jewelry, gifts and original art are also a few gems found at Haile Farmers Market. For the picture-perfect spring Saturday, spend your morning at Haile Farmers Market and discover all that Gainesville has to offer.

Union Street Farmers MarketWhen: Every Wednesday from 4 to 7 p.m.Union Street Farmers Market is in the heart of downtown Gainesville. Having been established almost 20 years ago, the market has grown to host more than 60 vendors each week. The market features some of the highest quality local produce, but is set apart by its vendors who offer handcrafted soaps and lotions, candles and other one-of-a-kind crafts. A wide variety of prepared foods is offered each week along with fresh herbs like cilantro and fennel. The possibilities are truly endless, so visit Union Street Farmers market and support local producers, musicians and artisans while sharing some quality time with your Gainesville neighbors.

Alachua County Farmers MarketWhen: Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.This market prides itself on providing community members with products that are “as fresh as you can get.” It was founded to give growers a place to sell their products so they can make a self-sufficient income from farming. As a result, it has become a “grower’s only market,” which means local farmers grow everything being offered individually and directly. Organic fruits, mixed veggies and specialty dairy items including cheesecakes and dressings can all be found at ACFM. Now you can shop for everyday items with the comfort of knowing that everything is produced right in your own backyard.

Nothing says springtime like fresh air, fresh flowers and fresh produce. There’s no better place to find these than at one of Gainesville’s local farmers markets, where you’ll discover new favorites and quite possibly some hidden treasures.

Samantha is a passionate and motivated senior in the College of Journalism and Communications at the University of Florida. In her free time she enjoys reading entertainment and fashion magazines. She is excited to move to New York City upon graduating in May of 2015. She hopes to pursue a career that is fulfilling and exciting. GO GATORS!