Style

‘Friends’ Lookbook: A Style Guide Inspired by the Hit ‘90s Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Friends has captured the hearts of many over the past 20 years. If you are anything like me, you’ve grown to love this show recently from Netflix-binging. Others may remember watching it while they were growing up. We are gifted with 10 binge-worthy seasons of this show, but we are also given plenty of fashion inspiration from the leading ladies. I’ve highlighted three looks below that are Central-Perk approved!

Rachel

Rachel has to be my favorite character on the show, but a lot of that has to do with her love of fashion. She doesn’t hesitate to showcase true ‘90s style with her signature hairstyle (look it up, it’s an actual thing). Rachel is known for her tight tops and fashion-forward bottoms. You don’t need to cut your hair to steal Rachel’s look.

To take some notes from our fave it-girl, you just need a fitted camisole, fun plaid skirt, baggy jean jacket and of course, some white Converse!

Monica

Monica’s style most closely resembles mine. She knew what she was doing with high-waisted jeans and sneakers. I think that Monica’s fashion is the easiest one to transition into your own wardrobe. This spunky chef may not be in the fashion industry, but she definitely doesn’t let Rachel steal all the style!

You can dress like Monica with a cropped t-shirt, “mom” jeans, some chunky sneakers and an oversized corduroy jacket. Cooking skills and a highly competitive attitude are not required to complete this look.

Phoebe

Last, but certainly not least, is our favorite free spirit: Phoebe Buffay. Phoebe’s style is entirely her own, and we’re here for it. What I like about Phoebe is that she doesn’t do the conventional thing and stays true to what she likes. Her boho vibe is such a fun one to recreate with your clothes!

To channel your inner Phoebe, style a fun maxi dress with a white bodysuit underneath. To finish off the look, add a scrunchie and chunky booties. You may just find your lobster in this stellar outfit!

All in all, Friends gives us so much more than funny one-liners and relatable characters. You can recreate ‘90s fashion easily by following in the footsteps of these ladies!

Hi I'm Bailey! I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking 20 something year old college student. I love the Florida Gators, the color navy, and carbs. Follow along while I try to balance school and my love of fashion!