Freshman Leadership Council Executive Erin Rebecca Shalloway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Erin Rebecca Shalloway
Age: 21
Year: junior
Major: graphic design with a minor in Spanish

Her Campus: What is the Freshman Leadership Council (FLC)?
Erin Rebecca Shalloway: “The Freshman Leadership Council is a Student Government Agency, interested in leadership development, that falls underneath the executive branch. Internally, we develop 50 freshman through event programming and educational experiences. Externally, we work to enhance the UF network by instilling skills and celebrating the passions of freshman leaders.”

HC: What was the application process like for FLC?
ERS: “The application process changes every year. For the 2015-2016 year, we designed an editable, interactive PDF application that encourages students to show us who they truly are. The application was honest and reflected the optimistic, passionate and driven culture of FLC. The second part of our application process were interviews. One of our goals being professional development, interviews serve as good practice for the real world. We know that an FLC interview is usually a student’s first interview ever so we try to make students feel welcome while also providing interview critique feedback if requested.”

HC: How did you become interested in FLC?
ERS: “Coming from an arts high school, I had invested a majority of my time gaining specific knowledge and skills. I was ready to explore. I was interested in the Freshman Leadership Council because they celebrated new and unique passions. The professional development and investment in others which was cultivated by the Freshman Leadership Council was the most attractive quality. As a freshman, I was eager to be a part of the Gator Nation and be exposed to the kaleidoscope of students and leaders here on campus.”

HC: What has been the most memorable or impactful part of your experience so far?
ERS: “The most impactful part of my experience with FLC is the trust. As a council member, my mentors and directors trusted me to take on projects and programming of events. That trust instilled confidence for me to pursue my passions beyond FLC. For example, for our annual St. Baldrick’s event, I was responsible for making the flyers and graphics to market the event. Under minor supervision, my first flyer contributed to raising over $15,000 for cancer research. I discovered a passion for design. Because my talent was recognized it gave me the confidence to apply to the upper division design program.”

HC: How do you balance schoolwork and extracurricular activities with FLC?

ERS: “One of the greatest lessons I learned from an FLC alumni was that we are people first, students second and council members third. That is my mantra when it comes to prioritizing tasks. It puts everything into perspective. I have also grown to learn that attitude is everything. Approaching your to-do list, which is inevitable, with a positive attitude can go along way. One of the benefits of a liberal arts education is that the knowledge gained in the classroom and outside of it overlap, so being a sponge and embracing every challenge and experience will deepen your development.”

HC: Is there anything else you’d like to add?

ERS: “My investment in this organization for the past three years has developed me beyond I could ever imagine. Each role has brought about new experiences and challenges. I have learned to work hard and enjoy it along the way. Leadership is all about relationships. The Freshman Leadership Council teaches you how much better life is when you surround yourself with people that support and challenge you. When it all comes down to it everyone is as valuable as everyone else. Appreciate each other, value yourself and follow your passions. When you are a Gator, anything is possible!”

Photo Courtesy of Erin Rebecca Shalloway

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!