This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There is nothing better than a sea full of people decked out in orange and blue, chanting “It’s great to be a Florida Gator!” as our football team runs down the field towards the end zone. Football is a time-honored tradition taken very seriously here in Gainesville. Unfortunately, many girls have a poor understanding of the sport. Nothing is more embarrassing than being that girl who cheers as the rest of the crowd boos. It is a good idea to have some basic knowledge of football so you don’t embarrass yourself, you feel confident talking to that cutie next to you in the stands and, most importantly, you enjoy the game. I’ve compiled a list of the basic things everyone should know before they head to the stadium. 

What’s the point?A football game is comprised of four quarters lasting 15 minutes each. Due to the commercial breaks and time outs, a typical game can last anywhere from two to four hours (or if we’re playing Kentucky, a lifetime). The goal of the game is to move the ball down the field into one of the two end zones in order to score a touchdown. The team with the most points at the end of the fourth quarter wins.

How does it work?If a team is playing offense, this means that it possesses the ball and is trying to carry the ball down the field into its opponent’s end zone. There are 11 offensive players and 11 defensive players on the field at one time. The 11 offensive positions include offensive linemen, quarterback, running back, wide receiver and tight end. The offensive linemen are responsible for blocking the opposing team and protecting the quarterback. The quarterback, running backs, wide receiver, and tight end are responsible for advancing the ball down the field

If a team is playing defense, this means that it is not in possession of the ball, and its goal is to keep the other team from scoring points. The 11 players that make up the defense are the defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs. The defensive linemen are responsible for holding back the offensive linemen to cease a running play and to tackle the quarterback. The linebacker’s job is to cover the receivers and prevent them from running or catching the ball. Lastly, the defensive backs are in charge of intercepting the ball and stopping any offensive players who make it past the defensive line.

For a complete list of UF players and their positions, refer to GatorZone.

What is a down? A down is the term referring to when the ball is put into action. The offense has four chances to move the ball 10 yards. Each attempt to move the ball is a down. If on first down the ball is moved five yards, then, the team moves on to the second down to try to advance the ball five more yards. Every time the offense is able to successfully move the ball 10 yards, they get a first down, leaving them with three more chances to advance the ball. As long as the team continues to advance 10 yards in four downs or fewer, they keep the ball. However, if the offensive team cannot move the ball 10 yards in four downs, they must give the ball to the other team. It can do this by punting the ball down the field.

Often during a football game, you will hear an announcer say terms like “first and 10.” This means the team is on its first down with 10 yards to go. If he or she says “second and three,” this would mean the team is on its second down with three yards left. Essentially, whenever you hear blank and blank, the first number is what down the team is on while the second number is how many yards left they have to run the ball to successfully reach 10 yards.

How do they score?Points can be earned in football by running the ball, throwing the ball and kicking the ball into the opponent’s end zone. A touchdown is worth six points. After a team scores a touchdown, a player can go for an extra point by kicking the ball through the two yellow uprights. Teams can also go for two-point conversions, especially if the score is close.

Points can also be earned by kicking a field goal. A field goal, much like the extra point after a touchdown, is where the offensive team kicks the ball from where the team was on fourth down through the uprights and over the crossbar in order to score three points. If the opposing team is about to kick the ball, join in with the crowd in making loud noise to hinder them from being successful.Watching your team score is the best part of the game. Get ready to make lots of noise and high-five strangers because The Swamp gets crazy whenever the Gators score.

Hopefully now you have a better understanding of the rules of football. Remember it’s okay to not be an expert. Guys actually like it when you show interest in football by asking them to explain something, but they’ll be much more impressed if you’re asking them to explain a referee’s call rather than “what’s a touchdown?”

Now all you have to do is pick out the perfect gameday outfit, and you’ll be ready to flirt with that cutie standing next to you in the stands! Happy gameday! Go Gators!

Photo credits:www.spotlight.studentlife.com.cy

Morgan is a public relations freshman at the University of Florida and is a new addition to the Her Campus UFL team. She recently moved to Gainesville from the small city of Deltona, Florida in order to embark on a new journey in her life. She is best described as a motivated individual who does everything to the best of her ability and likes to look good while doing it. Morgan is passionate about fashion, online shopping, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. In her free time she enjoys retail therapy, catching up with her friends and family, spending time outside, and cheering on the Florida Gators.