Wellness > Health

Flu Shot 101: Everything you need to know about it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Spooky season is upon us, and along with it comes the flu. Medical experts are worried of the potential burden that may come upon hospitals already swamped with COVID-19 patients. So while COVID-19 has been the forefront of this nation’s concerns, the CDC is imploring us to take some time out our day and get a flu shot. Yes, the flu’s always resurfacing so it may not seem like a big deal but remember 2020’s a different type of year. Below are some commonly asked questions about the flu shot.

What is it?

The flu shot is a vaccine that contains an inactivated form of the virus. It allows the body to build the antibodies needed to fight the three or four most common influenza viruses that may circulate during flu season (which can last up until May). The flu otherwise known as “influenza” is a dangerous disease that can lead to hospitalization or even in some cases, death. You can get the vaccination either through a flu shot or a nasal spray.

Who is at most risk for complications from the flu?

Adults 65 years and older and those with chronic health conditions are more at risk for complications associated with the flu. What counts as a chronic health condition? Those with asthma, chronic kidney disease, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, cancer and those who are pregnant, who are a young child, or a child with neurologic conditions. Essentially, a lot more people are at higher risk than you’d think. In order to reduce the severity of illness, getting the flu shot is essential. Even if you are not considered “high risk”, it is as equally important to get vaccinated so that we can reduce the likelihood that the high-risk population gets sick. 

Who should get it?

The CDC recommends that everyone six months and older get a flu shot every season. If you have an egg allergy, no worries there are egg-free flu vaccines available. Talk with a health care provider to see what options you may have. For more information on rare exceptions to getting vaccinated visit https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/whoshouldvax.htm

What benefits does it have?

The flu shot can reduce hospitalizations, be lifesaving for children, reduce the severity of symptoms if you still get the flu and most importantly protect you and the people around you. In 2018-2019, the CDC estimated that the flu shot prevented 4.4 million illnesses, 58,000 flu-related hospitalizations and 3,500 deaths.

When should I get it?

Considering we’re now in October, right now is the perfect time to get vaccinated. The CDC recommends you get vaccinated sometime between mid-September to the end of October. This will likely give you full protection throughout the entirety of the flu season. 

If I got it last year, why do I need to get it again this year?

The antibodies your body developed last year degrade over time. In order to get full protection from the virus, you need to get vaccinated every year. The flu is also adapting and changing. The flu shot you got last year may not protect you against the flu this year. Therefore, to be safe go get your updated flu shot this year.

I’ve never gotten the flu shot, why should I get it now?

The CDC is beseeching that everyone capable gets their flu shot. It is more important now than ever to get the flu shot to protect against the very serious virus that is the flu. By getting vaccinated, you are not only protecting yourself but those around you by reducing the chances of carrying and spreading the disease. In order to reduce the load on health care providers and preserve medical resources for COVID-19 patients, it is crucial for everyone six months and older to get their flu shot. 

Can I get the flu from the flu shot?

No! Although the flu shot contains the flu, the virus is actually dead and cannot infect you. Since it is cold-adapted, it cannot infect warmer areas of the body such as the lungs. People who do get the flu shortly after getting a flu shot were likely infected for other reasons. The first one being, they were exposed to the virus before they were able to build proper immunity for protection against the virus. Antibodies require about two weeks after getting vaccinated to properly develop immunity against the flu. The second reason may be that they were exposed to one of the more rare flu viruses that was not included in the shot. Only the most common 3 or 4 flu viruses are included in the vaccine. 

Will it protect against COVID-19?

Unfortunately, no. The flu shot does not offer protection against COVID-19. So, continue to wear masks, wash your hands and social distance.

Are there any side effects?

You may get some minor side effects such as soreness, low-grade headache, fever, nausea, muscle aches, and fatigue.

Will I be 100% safe from the flu with the flu shot?

Like most things in life, the flu shot is not a guarantee solution to the virus. Even if you get the flu shot you may still contract the virus at a later time. The plus side of getting the flu shot is that your symptoms may not be as severe as if you hadn’t gotten vaccinated. Older adults and those with chronic illness are more at risk of contracting the virus since they may develop less immunity. So to protect those around us who are more at risk, get your flu shot to reduce the chances of spreading the virus.

Where can I get one?

The flu shot is free with most insurance. I got mine at Walgreens for $25 out of pocket. Listed below are some places in Gainesville where you can get a flu shot today!

CVS Pharmacy

Get a $5 off $20 shopping coupon when you get a flu shot. Offer valid for Target when located inside a Target store

Publix

Get a $10 Publix gift card when you get your flu shot at the Publix pharmacy. Get a flu shot and a free pub-sub?! Sounds like a plan.

Walgreens

Get a $5 coupon off a $20 purchase when you get a flu shot. Offer valid until through Nov. 30th. 

UF Student Health Care Center

Schedule an appointment online to get your flu shot here.

Your Doctor’s Office

If you already have an appointment with your doctor, you can ask them to get your flu shot with them!

As always if you have any questions or concerns speak with a healthcare provider. You can also find more information on the CDC website.

We may all be waiting for a COVID-19 vaccine to get back to our normal lives, but lucky for us, we already have a vaccine for the very serious influenza virus! To help lessen the burden on hospitals, preserve our resources for COVID-19 patients, and protect our neighbors, it is crucial that you get your flu shot as soon as possible. So what are you waiting for?! Grab your friends and go get your flu shot today!

Claudia is a third year Applied Physiology and Kinesiology major at the University of Florida. She's from Boca Raton, FL, but is a proud latina with roots in Mexico. She is a passionate woman looking to use her voice to inform readers on a wide range of topics from social disparities to personal college experiences from the perspective of a woman. When she isn't in class or volunteering, you can probably find her rollerblading somewhere outside or eating Ben & Jerry's ice cream while binge watching Friends for the 100th time. With her experience in writing for Her Campus UFL, Claudia hopes to one day bring this skill into her dream career as a physician to spread awareness about health disparities she encounters in the clinic.