Style

The Florida Girl’s Guide to Seasonal Fashion: 3 Holiday Looks for the Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As a native Floridian, I know that it’s difficult to get into the holiday spirit when December temperatures average around 80 degrees. Classic holiday carols like “Jingle Bells” rejoice about “dashing through the snow” but the only thing us Florida girls are dashing through is any place with AC. Not only does the warm weather melt our holiday vibes, it also takes away the excitement of buying a cozy winter wardrobe.

Needless to say, adorable pea coats and fluffy scarves are out of our vocabulary. While a warmer holiday season may not mimic the winter wonderland many people associate with this time of year, it’s not impossible to dress for the holidays and the heat. Many of the clothing pieces that us Florida girls wear religiously throughout the summer can be transitioned into the perfect “S’winter” wardrobe. Here are three pieces that can create looks that’ll have you braving the holiday heat in style.

Denim Skirt

Denim skirts were all the rage this past summer and have become a staple item in many closets. Good news is that they are the perfect piece to wear in the warmer winter months as well. To create a casual yet cozy look, pair a distressed denim skirt with a soft sweater and fashion sneakers, like these. While the sweater keeps you warm in the case of a sudden breeze, the whole outfit ensures that you’ll be feeling and looking cool. This ensemble is perfect for a trip to a local winter market with friends. Just pair it with a cup of hot cocoa and you’ll be feeling the holiday vibes for sure.

Romper

Ah, the classic romper. One of the most versatile pieces of clothing I own, a romper can be dressed up or down. To me, a black romper is a wardrobe essential because it can be worn with a variety of shoes and jackets in the winter months. To create this “Christmas in July” look, I paired a sleeveless black romper with a distressed denim jacket and slip-on sneakers. This look is quite casual, making it perfect for hanging out with friends while driving around looking at Christmas lights.

Bodysuits

Need a perfect going out look for the warmer winter months? This bodysuit-inspired look is for you. One of my summer staples, a black bodysuit is a perfect base for any party outfit. Paired with ripped jeans and a lightweight jacket, a bodysuit can go from Florida summer to Florida winter real quick. Add a pair of high-heeled booties and the weather won’t be the only thing feeling hot. This look is perfect for a night out on the town or even an evening of ice skating.

There you have it, three pieces that will have you saying “thank u, next” to summer and hello to winter. Don’t let warmer temperatures stop you from rocking amazing holiday outfits. While Florida may not experience a “White Christmas,” the sunshine state still has holiday spirit. All you need is some summer staples and a few winter additions and you’ll be on your way to Santa’s “best-dressed” list.

All images are courtesy of Summerlyn Murray. Model: Abbie Sieboldt

Summerlyn is a freshman at the University of Florida studying advertising. She is an aspiring social media manager who shares a passion for all things theatre, fashion, and health. When she’s not writing for Her Campus UFL, you can find her watching Mad Men, belting Broadway hits, and cooking up some fire dorm room eats. Follow her on Instagram @summerlynmurray.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.