etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Summer 2016 Movies with Leading Ladies You Need to See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Summertime is a time for the beach, traveling, working, spending time with your friends and yes, incredible new movies on the big screen. This summer specifically there are many movies starring amazing leading ladies. Whether it be an action movie, a comedy or even a romance, there’s a movie out there for every collegiette to watch this summer. Here are five of the biggest summer movies that you’ll definitely want to buy tickets for.

1. X-Men: Apocalypse
If you are looking for an incredible action movie to watch this summer, then this is the movie for you. Longtime fans of the X-Men movies as well as new fans can enjoy this movie. Jennifer Lawrence returns as Mystique and Raven in this action-packed film. She must team up with Professor X to train a group of X-Men to stop their greatest enemy, Apocalypse, in order to save earth and mankind from total devastation.

• Release Date: Friday, May 27

2. Alice Through the Looking Glass
Mia Wasikowska returns as Alice in the second film of the Alice and Wonderland books, along with Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter. These three females lead in this movie that is sure to please. Alice wakes up in Wonderland once again and has to travel through a strange world in order to stop the Lord of Time from destroying Wonderland.

• Release Date: Friday, May 27

3. Me Before You
I’ve already watched the preview for this movie three times, and I’m sure it will be the tearjerker film of the summer. This movie stars Emilia Clarke as Lou, who realizes she no longer loves her boyfriend and also ends up losing her job. She takes a job as a companion for a once-lively man who rode his motorcycle and ended up paralyzed from the neck down. The relationship between the two starts off rough, but little does either know that they may have found the person they’ve been searching for their entire lives.

• Release Date: Friday, June 3

4. The Legend of Tarzan
This adaptation on the legend of Tarzan stars Margot Robbie as Jane. The storyline takes place after Tarzan has moved from the jungle. After he has been living in London for a long while, he is sent back to where he grew up to figure out what activities are occurring at a mining encampment.

• Release Date: Friday, July 1

5. Ghostbusters
Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig star in this new take on the Ghostbusters storyline that takes place 30 years after the original film. With a cast of comedians, this film is sure to be the talk of the summer.

• Release Date: Friday, July 15

Make sure you take a break from your busy summer schedules to enjoy some time at the movie theaters with your friends watching some incredible leading ladies on the big screen.

Photo Credits: youtube.com

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.