Five Must-Have Fashions Every Girl Should Have In Her Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Do you ever open your closet in the morning and think, “Oh my gosh, I have nothing to wear to class today”? Don’t panic because you’re not the only one. This common dilemma is very preventable. To help out you collegiettes, I have compiled a list of versatile pieces that are good starting points if you’re stuck on picking an outfit for the day. They can be dressed up or down for either daytime or nighttime, and they can be found at varying prices at basically any store in the mall, though I personally always prefer the cheaper route! Check out these vital clothing items that every college gal should have in her closet:

1. Solid Color T-Shirt 
Since this is just about the most versatile wardrobe piece, I advise stocking up on every color you set your eyes on. At stores like Forever 21, these can cost as little as $4.80! What a bargain! If you’re headed to class, slip on a pair of patterned shorts to spice up the plain nature of the shirt. Or if you’re hitting the town with your girls for the night, pair it with a skirt and a statement-making necklace.

2. Dark Wash Jeans 
This particular type of jean is a must-have, and it can be found at reliable stores like American Eagle, PacSun, or Hollister that consistently deliver high-quality jeans. Darker denim has a dressier feel than lighter hues do, which makes these kinds of jeans a perfect match for heels and a fancy top. They can also be made casual by throwing on a sweatshirt and boots, or whatever else suits your fancy.

3. Graphic T-Shirt 
T-shirts that make a bold statement seem to be all the rage at the moment. They feature anything from apparel brands and old band graphics to sayings like, “California state of mind” or “B*tch don’t kill my vibe.” These types of shirts can be easily dressed down for chemistry class by wearing them with a pair of cut-off shorts and Vans or Converse; they can also be dressed up by pairing them with a glam necklace, dressy shorts, and wedges or boots.

4. High-Waisted Shorts 
Though most Goodwill stores have been stripped clean of all “mom jeans,” this trend is still alive and kickin’, much to my relief. These shorts take me back to the ‘90s, and they are super cute when worn with a crop top to show a sliver of skin. If you’re not comfortable with showing some skin, that’s perfectly okay, too; these shorts look equally as adorable with a tank top or T-shirt tucked in.

5. Muscle T-Shirt 
Though my arm muscles are equivalent to those of SpongeBob Squarepants, I really enjoy rocking this modern and baggier version of a tank top. Though basic tanks are a great wardrobe staple, muscle T-shirts are a great way to change things up a bit. They’re comfortable enough to wear around campus to class every day, but they have potential to be fancier if paired with the proper accessories.

Next time you wake up late for class and are in a time crunch, pull up this article to find your perfect go-to wardrobe pieces. It’s all about picking one and tailoring it to your own individual style and taste. Stay fashionable, collegiettes!

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.