Fitness with Finesse: The 5 Worst Foods to Eat Before You Work Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Have you ever gone to the gym and had an unusually bad workout? What you’re eating beforehand could be the cause your not-so-great gym session. The foods you consume before you work out play just as big of a role as hydration, rest and stretc hing. If you don’t watch what you eat before you head over to the gym, it could lead to a very bad workout. Keep this list of foods to avoid in mind, and your workout will be a breeze, as far as working out goes.

1. CoffeeIf you’re like me, you basically have an IV of coffee constantly going into you, but this can seriously affect your workout. Coffee is a diuretic, which will seriously dehydrate you. Despite your best hydration efforts, drinking coffee before your workout will undo that. Try not to drink coffee for at least three hours before you work out. Instead, drink water or Gatorade if you need a little energy boost. Find what works best for you!

2. SugarThe sugar high you get from a sugary drink or a candy bar might seem good for a gym workout, but the sugar rush will turn into a crash. Once you crash, you’ll have even less energy than before, which will probably cut your workout short, meaning that you may gain more calories from the sugar than you lost from the workout. Instead of sugar, try to eat carbs at least two hours before your workout. The energy from the carbs will last through a longer workout.

3. FiberA fiber granola bar before your workout is often a perfect on-the-go snack on your way to Southwest Recreation Center, but you may regret that halfway through your run. Fiber can leave you feeling bloated or gassy, which isn’t a great feeling when you’re pounding on the treadmill. Try to find a different on-the-go snack you enjoy like a banana or peanut butter and crackers.

4. DairyWhile dairy products are very good for your daily diet and are part of my personal favorite food group, milk is not the best drink before a workout. Even if you aren’t lactose intolerant, dairy can leave you with an upset stomach once you start working out. Dairy will feel heavy in your stomach, which will only make your workout more difficult. Try getting protein from somewhere else in the two hours before your workout, such as hummus or peanut butter.

5. No foodThis is the worst snack of all: none! Have you ever tried studying on an empty stomach? It’s difficult to focus and you start to get drowsy, and it’s the same with working out. Your workout will have no benefit if you don’t have the energy to push your limits.

Next time you’re headed out on a run or planning on going to the gym, keep this list of foods in mind to improve your workout. Hope you enjoy your exercise, collegiettes!

Photo credits: media1.popsugar-assets.com