Fictional Bars and Restaurants We Wish Existed in Gainesville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

After living in Gainesville for three years, I am tired of the same old Midtown bars and restaurants. After probably spending more time watching Netflix than I have studying, I have realized that my favorite TV shows and books have way better bars than we do. Here are 11 fictional bars and restaurants that should totally replace the Gainesville staples.  

1. MacLaren’s Pub from How I Met Your MotherThis should totally replace Mother’s Pub, the Irish bar on University Avenue. Where else will you always have a booth open for you and your pals and know it will be legen—wait for it —dary!

2. Central Perk from FriendsAs much as I love Pascal’s Coffeehouse, the Christian coffee shop nestled behind Midtown, it’d be so awesome if it were Central Perk instead. Who doesn’t need a little Gunther in their life, am I right?

3. Los Pollos Hermanos from Breaking BadThis fried chicken establishment could easily replace Midtown’s The Coop. Where else does your meal come with fries and some crystal meth? (Although we obviously don’t endorse the consumption of illegal substances.)

4. The Emerald City Bar or Joe’s Bar from Grey’s AnatomyThis fictional bar should be built across the street from Shand’s Hospital, and I would totally frequent it in hopes of finding my McDreamy.

5. The Leaky Cauldron from Harry Potter This pub could be built in place of Maude’s Coffeeshop downtown because butterbeer. Enough said.

6. Paddy’s Irish Pub from It’s Always Sunny in PhiladelphiaThis would totally replace The Salty Dog Café in Midtown. Where else can you get a beer, play Charty MacDennis and possibly fear for your life?

7. Luke’s Diner from Gilmore GirlsJust like 43rd Street Deli, Luke’s is owned and operated by a lovable, no-nonsense local who’s been around long enough to know just about everybody. These two places are practically synonymous with small town charm.

8. The Alamo Freeze from Friday Night LightsIs it creepy to say I’d frequent this location to see the high school football players if they built one across from Gainesville High School?

9. The bar from New GirlThis would replace Gator City mostly so I can flirt with Nick Miller in hopes of being asked home to play True American.

10. Bob’s Burger Shop from Bob’s BurgersThis would replace BurgerFi on Archer Road because those cartoon burgers always somehow look delicious, and the Belcher family is always good for a laugh.  

11. The Snakehole Lounge from Parks and RecreationThis legendary bar, owned in part by the one and only Tom Haverford, would replace Envy. Who hasn’t dreamed of taking shots of snake juice with Ron Swanson?

All jokes aside, there’s one thing I know for sure about Midtown: No bar, fictional or real, could ever replace Balls Bookstore.