A Few Things to Know About the Motor Scooter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In your first moments on the University of Florida campus, you’ll notice one method of transportation that stands out among the rest: the motor scooter. With our tragic lack of convenient parking, a spacious campus, and relatively favorable weather, it’s easy to see why colorful Vespas are always whizzing about the Gainesville area. If you’re interested in purchasing one or just curious about the least intimidating form of a motorcycle, there are a few things you should know: 

1. Convenience  
Scooting is as convenient and fun as it seems. There’s an abundance of smaller parking spaces designated specifically for motor scooters all over town. Plus, parking decals are both cheaper and more available than those for cars. Driving a scooter is probably the fastest way to get to class, too, and it takes a lot less gas than cars. 

2. Safety 
As with any form of transportation, there’s a risk of getting into an accident. Should you wear a helmet? Probably. Okay, definitely. Although it is indisputably the best safety precaution you can take while driving a scooter, helmets are not legally required, and not everyone wears them. If you do make that choice to knix the helmet, remember the following: there have been many accidents, even deaths at our own school. Please be as safe as possible.

I got into an accident myself. In my third week of scooter ownership, a car reversed into me. Even at a few miles per hour, it was the scariest thing ever. Car-on-car accidents are scary and costly enough. But with scooters, your body is at risk without any protection. Having an 800 pound machine land on top of you is scary stuff. It’s important to remember that colleges are primary populated by inexperienced drivers, and motor scooters are even easier to overlook than motorcycles. Watch out for yourself, especially since you can’t be sure everyone else will.

3. Weather 
Scooter owners get a refreshing cool breeze on a hot day, but scooter-ists also have to face the other types of weather that grace Gainesville with their presence. Anything below 70 degrees on a scooter means the possiblity of some uncomfortable wind chill, and you’ll need to bundle up. Before you learn the hard way, take it from me: gloves will become your best friends. The only thing worse is rain. The long walks around campus make rainy days gloomier, but scooting in it is even worse. Umbrellas are impossible and hoods will blow off. Don’t even think about trying to block your face from the wind with something; it will only obstruct your vision, and that is pretty dangerous. 

4. The Often Forgotten Facts

• Here are a few things to remember about scooters.
  • Scooters still have the ability to get tickets from the police department.
  • Although sunglasses are good enough, you should wear eye protection.
  • You have to keep your feet completely flat on the floor.
  • You may feel like you’re facing death when riding the double or like you’re being bucked from a horse on an unexpected speed bump.  
  • At some point, your scooter will probably stall. 
  • Don’t get too emotionally attached to your little rear view antenna-like mirrors.

All in all, if you take precautions and care, a scooter can be one of the most fun and useful tools in a collegiette’s navigation of college. Don’t feel weird if you find yourself making sound effects when you drive. We all do it… At least I do. And remember to watch your road rage … people can see you. Good luck!

Photo Sources: 
Insurance.com 
Ehow.com
Switchimage.org
Gettyimages.com

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.