Festive Fall Activities To Do in Gainesville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s that time of year, folks. The air is growing crisper, and my tastebuds are craving warm, rich flavors. Grab your fuzzy sweaters and pumpkin scented candles, because fall is finally here!

The autumn season is a favorite of the four, especially here in Gainesville where there are countless opportunities to make the most out of the colorful time of year. So, what kind of autumn activities can you do here in this college town to get you feeling festive? I’m here to tell you!

The Micanopy Fall Festival

If you’ve never been to this quaint town just outside of Gainesville, you’re missing out. With its small population and antique stores lining the downtown strip, Micanopy has a particular charm. Every year, the town holds a fall festival filled with every treat you could ask for. For entertainment, there is live music that provides the soundtrack to your festival stroll and over 200 vendors ready to sell their goodies. From handmade crafts to original artwork, and more mouthwatering food than you could ask for, the Micanopy Fall Festival is an easy and undoubtedly fun way to get in those fall vibes. This year, the 46th annual festival will be held on Oct. 30 from 9 a.m – 5 p.m and Oct. 31 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Visit one of the many pumpkin patches

Tis’ the season! This time of year, there are pumpkin patches around every corner. Filled to the brim with pumpkins of all shapes, sizes and even colors, you’re bound to find the perfect one to take home. Not only is visiting a pumpkin patch the gateway into finding cute decor for your place or to carve a jack-o-lantern, they’re the perfect excuse to slip into a fall fit and snap a few festive pictures. If you want to skip the mess of carving a pumpkin, try painting it! 

Tackle a trail

While in Florida, most days are still sunny and warm, but the weather begins to cool this time of year. Mornings tend to be chillier and, if we’re lucky, we get to experience days that are that perfect 75 degrees and sunny. There’s no better way to take advantage of the cooler weather than to go walking on a trail. The chill temperatures mixed with towering trees surrounding you on your walk will hopefully give you all the fall vibes you’re searching for.

Some of my favorite trails are those in Sweetwater Preserve, Loblolly Woods Nature Park and Biven Arms Nature Park. Also, there’s nothing like taking a stroll through Depot Park with a cup of coffee on a crisp morning to get you feeling like you’re making the most of this fall season. Not only is walking on trails a great fall activity, it’s cost-effective and a sure way to get in some exercise!

Get festive at home

For all my homebodies out there, there’s still plenty of ways to get in the fall spirit from the comfort of your own space. Grab your friends and some art supplies and create colorful fall paintings while soothing acoustic tunes play in the background. Not artsy? No problem. Baking a warm treat to eat is one of the best ways to get into the fall spirit. You can take your yummy creations and munch on them while watching a movie. To me, there’s nothing like watching a movie cuddled up underneath a fuzzy blanket with snacks by my side. If I were to choose my go-to fall movie, anything from the Twilight series would do. If seeing those woods and forests doesn’t get you in the fall spirit, hearing songs by Bon Iver & St. Vincent in New Moon most definitely will. Have a few friends over or go solo, but try out any of these at-home activities to have a cozy fall night here in Gainesville. Don’t forget to light a candle!

Gainesville offers a little bit of everything during the fall time. From visiting one of the many fall festivals or pumpkin patches, connecting with nature through a walking trail or enjoying an autumn themed activity at home, there are plenty of ways to make the most out of this fall season. How will you celebrate?

Journalism major at the University of Florida.