The Fashion Week Queen: Gwen Rahn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

To the interns and directors she works with, she is fondly known as the Hot Bitch in Charge.

But this co-producer of Gainesville Fashion Week prefers to go by her real name: Gwen Rahn.

Most people know of the infamous fashion weeks held in New York, Los Angeles, Paris and Milan, but for three years Rahn and a staff of other dedicated fashionistas have brought a little piece of their favorite industry to Gainesville. 

“We’re not trying to become the next New York Fashion Week,” Rahn said. “It’s actually the opposite. We love using local talent and embracing local businesses.”

Fashion week first came to Gainesville in March 2009 after a small group of local businessmen and women realized there was an untapped and unrecognized market of people here interested in fashion—especially young professionals.

“We’re constantly trying to cater to all aspects of Gainesville,” Rahn said. “This is something new for Gainesville, and we definitely want to cater to the people who live here and work here, but don’t necessarily go to school.”

Rahn, a senior at the University of Florida majoring in journalism with a magazine writing concentration, first started working with fashion week as an intern and became hooked after the first show.

“It’s an incredible feeling and an incredible experience to look at something that you have put everything you have into, and to see it become so grand and so appreciated,” she said.  

Rahn quickly moved up the ladder and is now proudly entering the fourth season of Gainesville Fashion Week not only as a co-producer of the show, but also as someone who has seen the event grow tremendously.  

What started out as three fashion shows a day, in addition to an art showcase, has expanded to six shows a day, an art showcase and a black tie event for the non-profit organization Rocket for the Arts, which is an extension of Gainesville Fashion Week.  

Each of the 12 shows will feature the work of different designers and local boutiques.  Some of the fashions featured this year include clothing by Chris Cardi, a designer from Miami, a selection from Three-Thirty Couture, work from locally-based Bobby K designs and many more.

The creative execution of each fashion show is left in the hands of the designer and boutiques, Rahn said.

The showcased designs will cover a wide array of styles from swimwear to couture.

“It’s a very diversified group, especially this year,” Rahn said.

Rahn and other GFW staff members are even encouraging the sometimes reluctant male population to come to the fashion shows.

“This year we have three designers exclusively for men,” Rahn said. “It’s certainly an event that both men and women would benefit from.”  

Fashion has always been a part of Rahn’s life and she plans to keep it that way.

“At the end of the day, this is what I want to do, and I have no problem giving up a few nights out to focus all of my energy,” said Rahn, who also admits that it’s difficult at times to balance school with the many months of planning for GFW.

After graduating this May, Rahn plans to move to New York to pursue a career writing for fashion magazines. After interning with several fashion publications and working with GFW, Rahn said she is ready for the challenge.

Her ultimate dream is to work for Vogue.

“Everyone has something they’re good at and this just happens to be mine. I have always had a love for the fashion industry,” she said. “This is my passion. This is what I’m going to make a career out of.”

Although Rahn said she will be sad to leave the staff of Gainesville Fashion Week, she has high hopes for its future.

“I think every year it’s going to get bigger and better,” she said. “We’re still young, and we’re still learning from our experiences each season. Hopefully it will be here for good.”

Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.