The Fashion Icons of the 21st Century

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Audrey Hepburn, Coco Chanel, Jackie O, Marilyn Monroe; their names will forever bring to mind the timeless and classic fashions they helped to inspire. These are classic examples of women who generations of fashionistas admire not only for their grace, sophistication and beauty but for their pioneering style choices as well. But who are today’s style icons, helping to shape the sartorial world using the same standards set by the trendsetters before them? Check out our picks below.

Kate Middleton

The focus of the fashion world ever since the announcement of her engagement to Prince William, Kate has not stopped making fashion headlines with her elegant looks. Escaping coverage of Kate’s latest outfit seems almost impossible thanks to her ability to inspire classic, everyday looks. Whether it’s her beautiful Alexander McQueen wedding gown that made you daydream about the day you’ll be a princess (your wedding day, that is) or her down-to-earth and effortless combination of a blouse paired with jeans, Kate is a natural trendsetter. So natural in fact, that most of the affordable dresses she’s worn have sold out in just hours from stores across the country. And better yet, Kate’s not afraid of shopping in her own closet, wearing the same outfit two and three times. The most important lesson Kate’s style teaches is to invest in wardrobe items that are timeless and won’t show their age.

The Olsen Twins

Usually raising eyebrows with their street style, no fashion icons list would be complete without mentioning the Olsen twins. The twins defined their trademark layers of clothing as “homeless chic” when they became students of New York University in 2004. Sure, they could drape themselves in shawls, oversize shirts, long skirts and tattered tights all at the same time, but these women could also go high-fashion and glamorous on the red carpets. And that’s what makes them so inspiring. Even better, their clothing lines The Row, Olsenboye, Elizabeth and James and Textile Elizabeth and James allow for others to copy their style.

Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift doesn’t just sing about romance, she works it into her fashion choices as well with plenty of romantic flair. The country star adds girly elements such as sequins and sparkles to her outfits, while never seeming over the top. If there’s one piece she’s known for rocking the most, Taylor’s signature sundresses have inspired girls across the country to embrace their romantic side. Her sweet, country style makes the combination of sundresses and cowboy boots a closet staple. In February 2009, Taylor collaborated with l.e.i and launched the l.e.i. Sundresses by Taylor Swift collection, which the country superstar designed herself. The collection was sold exclusively at Wal-Mart.

Sarah Jessica Parker

It seems that after playing Carrie Bradshaw for years on the show “Sex and the City,” this actress picked up her character’s fashion expertise. Sarah Jessica Parker’s style always has the perfect blend of quirky and elegant. And let’s not forget about her daring red carpet choices that have ranged from micro-mini skirts to ballerina dresses. In 2004, the actress was even recognized by the Council of Fashion Designers of America when she received the “style Icon” award.  

Lady Gaga

For the girls who don’t want to dress like everyone else, Lady Gaga serves as the ultimate inspiration. With a goal to make every element of her style unique and original, her outfits always seem to have one motto: “Don’t be afraid to take risks.” Gaga makes sure to have fun with what she wears by adding a fun wig or funky hairstyle. Though you don’t have to go to the extreme of being pant-less or wearing a dress made from meat, anyone can receive inspiration to be bold and brave from this pop star.

The Women of “Gossip Girl”

From Vanessa’s chic bohemian style, Blair’s elegance, Jenny’s bold rock ’n’ roll ensembles to Serena’s sexy outfits, there is someone from “Gossip Girl” who can inspire any taste of style. The girls might not all get along on the show, but they all have one heck of an impact on today’s fashions. In 2009, fashion designer Anna Sui designed a limited edition collection for Target that was inspired by the characters of the television show. Blair’s dresses came with high collars and bows, while Vanessa’s were mainly orange and brown. Jenny’s dresses were a unique mix of schoolgirl and a lot of black, and Serena’s group had just the right amount of sex appeal.

Karina Cuevas is currently enrolled as a freshman at the University of Florida, Class of 2014, as a Journalism and Political Science double-major and a German and Business Administration double-minor. Born in New York, she moved to Orlando, Florida with her family 6 years ago and is now residing in Gainesville, Florida, thus experiencing life in both urban and rural areas. When she isn't watching E!, obsessing over Gossip Girl, working part-time at Hollister, singing along to Taylor Swift's songs, shopping, or baking, Karina enjoys journaling, taking photos around campus, and spending time with her friends and family. Because she's interested in fashion, music and journalism, after college Karina hopes to move back to New York City and land a job at a prominent magazine. (Because magazines aren't dead.) ♥