Fashion Dos and Don’ts: How to Rock Cut-Outs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The cut-out trend has become quite popular lately from cut-out dresses to cut-out T-shirts. However, it can be quite easy to end up looking like a streetwalker if you overdo it. There’s nothing wrong with showing some skin, but make sure you don’t take it to the point where it looks like you barely have anything on at all. Here are some dos and don’ts to rocking the style without looking overly scandalous:

DO expose your midsection. 
Wearing cut-outs near your midsection is definitely a must. Dresses that have two symmetrical cut-outs on the sides are my favorite. Kerry Washington nails this style in the photo above with two openings on the side and one on the middle. The dress covers up her cleavage and is so long that it hits her ankles. The cut-outs make the dress look less conservative, and Washington doesn’t look too overexposed.

DON’T show your belly button.  
Try to stay away from cut-outs that expose your naval. It looks classier when the opening hits above or around this area.

DO consider open backs.
Shirts that cover up your cleavage but show off your back look great. Some girls think the only way to show skin is to show off their boobs. Personally, I think showing off your back can be sexy, too.

DON’T show everything.
Showing too much skin by revealing your cleavage and your back is a no-no. Whenever you’re going out, pick one part of your body to highlight whether it’s cleavage, legs, back, etc. You want to avoid showing off more than one.

DO try covered cut-outs, particularly sheer or lace.
You can get away with wearing multiple cutouts if the article of clothing has sheer or lace over it. If you like having a lot of openings, then this style will give you the leeway to wear as many cutouts as your heart desires.

DON’T show your lady parts. 
Remember to never expose your private areas completely even if these areas are covered by lace or sheer.

I hope you found these tips helpful. Have a favorite cut-out outfit? Share it with us in the comments below or on our Facebook page!

Sources:
www.glamour.com 

www.cocktaildresses.com 
www.lyst.com

Meghan is a journalism major at the University of Florida. She considers home to be Tampa, FL, but she was born and raised in Long Island, NY. Meghan plans on moving back to New York the day after graduation. She is a pop culture junkie, hoarder of fashion magazines and she also loves pink.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.