Fashion Advice 101: What to Wear to an Internship or Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Lucky for us Gators, we have many opportunities to land dream internships and jobs through on-campus events like the CJC’s Career Day or Career Showcase. Though it’s great to be vying for a job at these events, what isn’t great is the amount of effort it takes to craft the perfect business casual outfit for the day. On these days, pantsuits flood the campus — they’re literally everywhere. However, I’m not talking about the trendy, fashion-forward pantsuits one would see in a fashion magazine, but rather ill-fitting ones, whether too large or too small, and only in tones of gray and navy. Our campus turns into the color of a dark, cloudy day.

Believe it or not, this is not the way that work clothes have to look! It is effortlessly easy to dress fashionable, cute, colorful and still be work appropriate. I’m here to give you tips and tricks to dressing fabulously for any job or internship interview.

Colors
Color tends to be the most difficult decision for many students for their work or interview wardrobe. No one ever made a rule saying you had to wear gray suits to interviews. Don’t be afraid to stand out from the crowd! Red is a power color that will certainly get you noticed. Opt for an accent piece of red somewhere in your wardrobe. Pinks, greens, royal blues and white pieces also look great in a work wardrobe.

Dresses
As you know, dresses come in every style, fit and size possible. While pants may not fit everyone well, there is always a dress out there that will look flattering on you. Sheath dresses look incredible and fashionable on a majority of women. The fit of a sheath dress is work appropriate as well as flattering, and can be easily glammed up through accessories.

Pants, Skirts and Tops
If you are more of a mix-and-match type of girl, then this advice is for you. High-waisted pants are very in right now and look great with a fitted blouse. Stay away from prints that are too busy because they may end up looking tacky. Go for strong, solid colors that make a statement. A-line skirts are a great choice too, but it’s best if they are at least fingertip length so they are work appropriate. Maxi skirts are also in right now, and they look wonderful in a variety of colors paired with simple solid-colored tops.

Shoes
Shoes depend on the environment in which you’ll be working. If you are constantly running around town, you probably won’t want to be wearing stilettos. Instead, opt for cute lace-up flats. If you are working in a corporate position where you are mainly staying in the office, then go for low heels and wear cute heeled boots in the wintertime.

Hair
Hair is something that you can be versatile with in your job. Mix it up in relation to your outfit. If your outfit is very busy with color and appearance, then simply straighten or curl your hair so it looks natural. If you are wearing a more simple outfit, then opt for a messy bun or something that will switch up your look.

Jewelry
Jewelry highly depends on the field that you are looking to go into. If you are going into a fun job where you have a lot of leeway with your appearance, then go for fun costume jewelry. Big necklaces, bracelets and fun earrings will work great for you. If you are looking or working for a more serious company, then you probably want to go for silver, gold or pearls so that you look more mature and classic in your appearance.

Whatever your sense of style is, I’m sure you can find a look that suits you (no pun intended). Life is glamorous, so why shouldn’t your work wardrobe be? Go out there and stand out from the crowd, collegiettes.

Photo credits: pinterest.com

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.