burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Clothing That Isn’t Just for the Boys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Fall is arguably the best season for statement-making fashion pieces. It’s a season to take risks with layers and shapes. Recently, I’ve noticed stores like Forever 21, Nasty Gal and H&M, taking inspiration from staple menswear pieces. Fall 2017 fashion is all about dark masculine shapes with feminine twists. Each of these menswear-inspired clothing pieces will be perfect fall staples in any edgy girl’s wardrobe and cause some serious street-wear envy.

1. “Twelve Varsity Sweater Dress” — Forever 21

This dress, inspired by vintage varsity sweaters, is a perfect way to keep warm and cozy on nights when Florida decides to dip below 70 degrees.

2. “Accept the Truth High-Waisted Pants” – Nasty Gal

These trousers would make an incredible statement piece on a day out in downtown. The trousers are perfect because they can be paired with any basic white or black top and still make it seem like you’re ready to take on the world.

3. “Levi’s Corduroy Sherpa Jacket” – Urban Outfitters

Is there any other color better than burgundy for fall-weather feels? This jacket takes inspiration from 80s bomber jackets. I’m pretty sure you could find this jacket on any of the characters from Stranger Things, which is always a win in my book.

4. “Faux Suede Buckled Mules” – Forever 21

These mules are fantastic because they can be paired with several outfits, and they’ll always add some extra ‘oomph’ to a simple sweater and jean combo. These mules, inspired by men’s loafers, will automatically make you look more put-together.

5. “On the Square Tartan Dress” – Nasty Gal

This dress is a Gingham-style take on the average flannel shirt. This dress could be worn with a pair of sheer black tights and some fierce black boots. This dress is a way to stay cozy in your favorite flannel while still looking like you put effort into your outfit

6. “AEO Jogger” – American Eagle

Joggers aren’t just for the boys. Joggers are perfect for the mornings when sweatpants are your only thought for the chilly morning. They’re comfy but still look flattering on different body types. They can be paired with your favorite pair of sneakers and a messy top bun.

7. “Ruffle-Trim Denim Jacket” – Forever 21

Personally, I’m obsessed with this denim jacket. There are hundreds of denim jackets out there, but this one would get you a few double-takes on the street. This jacket puts a feminine twist on your average denim jacket with the perfectly placed ruffle detailing.

8. “Brixton Field Hat” – Urban Outfitters

Hats are a way to shield yourself from the brisk fall winds and keep your hair in a manageable state. This Brixton hat is a way to up the level of any fall outfit.

9. “AEO Lace-Up Lug Bootie” – American Eagle

What fall closet is complete without a killer pair of combat boots? This pair of boots have more of a feminine feel with the larger wedged heel, and I’m all for it. These boots will make your legs look like they go for days in your favorite pair of jeans.

We can draw a lot of inspiration from menswear when we are putting our fall looks together. Try any of these items to give your closet some love and edge. Let us know what your favorite piece of clothing was in the comments below!

Michaela is a third-year journalism major at the University of Florida and is currently majoring in journalism. You can find her soaking up the Florida sun at the beach, shopping at a thrift store, or in the front row of a local band's show. Her friends, good coffee and a book are one of the many things that keep her smiling every day. 
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.