A Eulogy to My Favorite Dessert Spot: Cookiegazm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

University of Florida students and Gainesville residents were recently hit with heartbreaking news announced on Facebook: Cookiegazm will be closing its doors permanently. Founded by a UF graduate, this gourmet cookie shop was a one-stop shop for late-night cravings. The name: eye-catching. The cookies: out of this world. The mission: simple — make the best cookies for students needing a late-night pick-me-up.

If you’re anything like me, you’re still in mourning weeks after the announcement — maybe even a little lost on what happened. We, the good-fortuned students of UF, leave for the summer with the promise that our late-night heroes will re-open when we return.

One night, before the semester started, I drove by on a lark to see if they had opened for the fall again. I quickly got a gut-wrenching feeling that their run was over for good as soon as I saw the small brick building completely black with large trash bags slung across the windows.

Since then, it seems like I sit with my roommates most nights and collectively wrack our brains trying to figure out where to get delicious dessert at such an ungodly hour. Well, here are three alternatives that will help you get over the loss of another Gainesville Great (lookin’ at you, Tom Petty).

1. Midnight Cookies

The OG late-night cookie spot in Gainesville. Admittedly, I’m not as much of a fan of Midnight Cookies as I was of Cookiegazm; However, it just may have to do. Although a little more on the pricey side, Midnight Cookies offers a similar range of cookies and does deliveries. Honestly, it’s great if you know exactly what you want. All you have to do is order online 45 minutes to an hour ahead of the time you actually want dessert. Talk about delayed gratification!

2. Restaurant desserts

It wasn’t until I was stuck in Gainesville for Summer A classes that I discovered the beauty of restaurant desserts. There is something to be said about walking into a restaurant late at night and only asking for the dessert menu. It seems like the majority of college students are sleeping on this ingenious idea. The most mentionable restaurants include BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse, Piesanos and Chili’s. Whether it’s the coveted pizookie, a cannoli or a molten lava cake, most restaurant desserts are reasonably priced. Some of the best-kept secrets in this world lie within the dessert section of menus, and we didn’t even know it.

3. Publix

I must admit, this one is the most underwhelming alternative, but beggars can’t be choosers. The Publix across from the Standard is open the latest out of any of the grocery stores in town, staying open as late as 11 p.m. It’s perfect if you are looking for the most convenient way to grab a dessert at 10:30 on a Tuesday night. There’s bound to be a brand of ice cream or break-and-bake cookies like Tollhouse on sale. But as of late, my new go-to is grabbing a cookie cake from the bakery. Not only does it spice up a traditional cookie, Publix will write whatever you want on your cake for free! What a steal!

Although it’s time to say goodbye to Cookiegazm forever, hopefully we can find some new favorites to enjoy.

Dear Cookiegasm: You were so good to all of us. From your “slutty” Nutella-filled cookies to your overpriced (but still somehow worth it) milk. From the iconic M&M cookies that got me through finals week to the too-cool-for-school staff. On behalf of an entire population, I can say that we will miss you. You’ve left a hole so large in our hearts that no amount of Publix cookies or cheesecake could ever fill it.

Cookiegazm, rest in peace.