Entertainment10: Taylor Swift, Chris Brown & Amanda Bynes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s already time for another Entertainment10! This week was full of celebrity baby news, Hollywood couples, Instagram arguments and of course, T-Swift news. So before you get too anxious, let’s get right to this week’s entertainment happenings.

1. Taylor Swift’s newest album, 1989, debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. After the album sold 1.287 million copies in its opening week, Swift’s 1989 can now claim the title as the largest and most successful week for any album since Eminem’s The Eminem Show. Eminem’s album sold 1.322 million in its second chart week. 1989 is additionally the second-highest selling album of the year already, only falling behind Disney’s Frozen soundtrack, which sold 3.2 million copies thus far. Swift’s newest album also marks her third album to sell more than a million copies in its first week, making her the only artist to achieve such a feat.

2. There are possible new Hollywood couples. Who’s to say who is with who in Hollywood nowadays, but this week was full of “new” relationships. The Fault in Our Stars actress Shailene Woodley may be off the market after being spotted getting cozy with musician Nahko. Although the coupling may be new to us, Woodley has actually spoken of Nahko in previous interviews. While on the press tour for Divergent, Woodley went as far as to say that Nahko “dramatically changed (her) life.”

In other couples news, Jessie J made it official and posted a picture with Luke James on Instagram. The singer captioned the cute photo saying, “My first ever official #mcm My man. My crush. My Monday morning. So it’s only right. @wolfjames.”

3. Tasha Smith threatens to kill husband? Smith seems to have a lot in common with her volatile character from Why Did I Get Married? after her husband claims she threatened to kill him in front of their children and even supposedly warned him to “not fall asleep or something will happen.” Since these allegations were reported, the couple continues to live with each other. Nonetheless, the judge gave Smith a hefty 2-yard restraining order… yes two whole yards. 

4. Chris Brown goes off, yet again. The Real hosts, Adrienne Bailon and Tamar Braxton, spoke about Brown’s relationship with current girlfriend Karrueche Tran. It was during a segment of the show titled “staying out of other people’s relationships” that Bailon asked, “Don’t you think some of your friends reap some of the benefits of her dating (Brown)? Really are your friends going to tell you to leave that?”

That seemed to infuriate Brown because he took to Instagram calling Bailon an “ole troutmouth,” among other names. Brown additionally called Braxton a “Muppet face.” The rant, which is a few paragraphs long, was deleted, but of course the screenshot of the initial post is still circulating the Internet. Brown’s girlfriend additionally commented on the situation, writing, “I could care less about the opinions of others. Drama doesn’t amuse me.” Tran also spoke on Brown’s behavior saying, “We all know he has no chill.” Before it could end there, Braxton took to Instragram as well, writing, “…honestly and respectfully I’m VERY sorry if you BOTH were offended about our girl chat.”

5. Rihanna graced two magazine covers and reinstated her Instagram. Rihanna posed topless for Esquire‘s December cover. The Barbados beauty also covered Elle and shot a high fashion spread for the December issue of the magazine. In Elle, Rihanna can also be seen posing nearly nude. Finally, after a six-month absence following some racy and controversial posts, Rihanna popped back up on Instagram, surprising her fans by posting an upside-down selfie.

6. Janet Jackson makes her first red carpet appearance in a year. Jackson is back, and her timing couldn’t be any better. Damita Jo made a surprise red carpet appearance in the United Arab Emirates. Jackson’s last public appearance was at amfAR’s Cinema Against AIDS Gala in May 2013. Since then, the singer has pretty much been a ghost on the social scene. On Halloween, the singer walked the red carpet for the Vogue Fashion Dubai Experience. Jackson donned the carpet in a long sleeve black dress and a high ponytail. According to Celebuzz, Jackson was also accompanied by her husband, Wissam Al Mana, a Qatari fashion tycoon whom she wed in 2012.

7. Yet another celebrity celebrates a baby on board! Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen welcomed their baby girl, Briar Rose. This is the couple’s first child, and the two honored their little bundle of joy by giving her a Disney princess-themed name. Briar Rose is also known as Princess Aurora. Robert Downey, Jr. and his wife, Susan, also welcomed a baby girl. This was the couple’s second child. To round out the week’s baby news, Kelly Rowland and her husband, Tim Witherspoon, welcomed their first child, a baby boy named Titan Jewell.

8. Keira Knightley takes a stand against Photoshop in a topless photo shoot for Interview magazine. Knightley told The Times she demanded photos be unedited, so others could see what she truly looked liked. “I’ve had my body manipulated so many different times for so many different reasons, whether it’s paparazzi photographers or for film posters,” Knightley said. “That [shoot] was one of the ones where I said, ‘Okay, I’m fine doing the topless shot so long as you don’t make them any bigger or retouch. Because it does feel important to say it really doesn’t matter what shape you are.”

9. Amanda Bynes was caught sleeping at local mall. After being caught sleeping on a couch in the Beverly Center in Los Angeles, the former Nickelodeon star took to Twitter to explain. “I was not given money for a hotel so I have been staying with friends and I didn’t get enough sleep last night so I fell asleep on a couch @ the Beverly center and a paparazzi snuck in and took pictures of me,” Bynes wrote. “FYI! I hate my parents for still not giving me money for a hotel. What is wrong with them?”

Bynes went on to write, “My lawyer is working to have them fully removed from being my conservator, because they don’t deserve control over my money – They are miserable in their life and I will fight to get control of my finances taken away from them!” It has been reported that Amanda’s mother, who was the previous conservator over Bynes’ finances, will be stepping down as her conservator.

10. The Country Music Association Awards was country music’s biggest night. Although Miranda Lambert seemed to take almost every award, the 48th annual awards show divvied out awards to Vince Gill, Blake Shelton and Florida Georgia Line just to name a few. The biggest honor was bestowed upon Luke Bryan, who also performed, for Entertainer of the Year. The show also featured performances by Florida Georgia Line, Little Big Town, Jennifer Nettles and The Band Perry. And of course, one of the highlights of the night was co-hosts Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood. Paisley even managed to announce to the world that the newly pregnant Underwood is expecting a baby boy.

That completes a week packed with entertainment news. See you all next week for some more celebrity updates. Have a great week, collegiettes!

Lauren Crawford is a fourth-year Telecommunications Major with a News Specialization and Sports Management Concentration at the University of Florida. She is pursuing a career in Broadcast Journalism in the fields of entertainment news and sports sews, and is currently the Thursday Sports Anchor for WUFT. She began working for HerCampus because she loves all things pop culture and enjoys writing, especially for an organization that caters to college women. You can find Lauren in her spare time watching reality TV, helping with her sorority, hanging out with friends, traveling, or catching up on the latest football game. She is your Entertainment10 Blogger.