The beginning of another week means it’s time for your Entertaiment10. From collaborations and award shows to Twitter feuds and incurable viruses, I would say this week in pop culture didn’t disappoint! No need to wait any longer; here is this week’s Entertainment10.
1. It was a room of self-proclaimed “proud actors” as the 21st Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards premiered on Sunday. Birdman topped the SAG Awards, winning the award for "Best Ensemble Cast." Other big winners of the night included Uzo Aduba, who won "Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series" for her performance in Orange is the New Black; Eddie Redmayne, who won "Outstanding Performance By A Male Actor In A Leading Role" for his performance in The Theory of Everything; and Julianne Moore, who won "Outstanding Performance By A Female Actor In A Leading Role" for her performance in Still Alice. Additional highlights from Sunday’s show were the acceptance speeches. One that truly struck a chord was Viola Davis’ touching speech as she accepted the award for "Top Female Actor" for her role on How to Get Away with Murder. Davis thanked the show’s producers "for thinking that a sexualized, messy, mysterious woman could be a 49-year-old, dark-skinned African American woman who looks me." And with that, the SAG Awards came to an end but Oscar speculation was at an all-time high. With the SAG Awards being one of the most telling Oscar previews, in terms of awards shows, this year’s winners have high chances of winning Hollywood’s most coveted accolade.
2. TLC turns to fans to financially support their “last and final” album. The best-selling girl group created a kickstarter page this week where fans could donate to the creation of the group’s latest album. TLC explained on the site the reasoning behind their out of the box funding idea. "While major labels offer artists multimillion dollar recording and marketing budgets, they don't often give artists complete control of their own music. It is ESSENTIAL that we create our final album completely on our own terms, without any restrictions, with YOU.” And as of Thursday, just days after the page was created, TLC’s fans not only reached the group’s initial goal of $215,000, but they also surpassed it. The donation page even attracted celebrity donors such as Katy Perry and New Kids on the Block. TLC says the fundraised money will go “to booking music producers, writing sessions, mixing sessions, recording sessions, and SO much more.”
3. Chrissy Teigen and Katie Cassidy have a war of words on Twitter over Erin Andrews. Before we dive into the Twitter war though, the involved parties first have to be identified, and trust me it’s a little confusing, so read carefully. Sports reporter and television host Erin Andrews and supermodel Chrissy Teigen are besties. Katie Cassidy is an actress currently on the CW’s Arrow, which also stars Stephen Amell. Now that the introductions are out of the way, we can jump to the Twitter feud. During the Seattle Seahawks football game, Amell tweeted criticizing Andrews for not asking a question to Seahawks player Richard Sherman. Cassidy then responded by tweeting, “Seriously, why isn’t she [Erin Andrews] doing her job??” Within hours, Teigen hopped in to defend her bestie, by tweeting a definition of the word “job,” and a statement to Cassidy explaining it’s “what you don’t have.” Before you know it, the two were going back and forth with harsh comments into the wee hours of the morning. While nothing was settled, Teigen simply seemed to be more interested in Pizza Hut’s crust commercials as she stopped responding to Cassidy.
4. The 2015 Grammy Awards are less than a month away, and this week brought the show's additional performance lineup. With the Grammys bringing in the world’s most talented artists, the show outdid itself Wednesday, announcing even more performers to the already celebrity-filled awards show. Joining the previously announced performers, such as Madonna, AC/DC, Ariana Grande, Eric Church and Ed Sheeran, are Pharrell, Sam Smith, Usher, Miranda Lambert and Common and John Legend, who will perform “Glory.” This year’s Grammy Awards air Feb. 8 on CBS.
5. Paris Fashion Week kicked off, and looks on the runway are causing quite the stir. Many looks walked down the Parisian runway, but it was Rick Owen’s show that caused quite the spectacle. Although the fashion industry has come to expect a memorable show from the designer, Owens seemed to outdo himself with his creative and truly unique designs. As the designer's models marched down the catwalk, their penises were exposed, and each outfit seemed to have holes in just the right places to showcase each model’s man goods. His designs, obviously one-of-a-kind in nature, brought attention to those in the audience as well as social media, with the creation of the hashtag #dickowens on Twitter.
6. The Selma cast returns to Selma, Alabama to commemorate Martin Luther King, Jr. Oprah Winfrey, David Oyelowo, Common and John Legend were just a few of the cast and crew who participated in a march of hundreds for MLK Day in Selma, Alabama. During the march, Common and John Legend performed their Oscar-nominated song “Glory” from the film. Additionally, Oyelowo delivered a speech to held at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Selma to honor King, which moved him and many in the crowd to tears.
7. What’s a week without some celebrity collaborations? For the umpteenth time, Chris Brown and his girlfriend, Karrueche Tran, seem to be back together after their nasty public break up last year. The two are now showcasing their “love” in Brown’s new music video for “Autumn Leaves” as Tran portrays a lady in red who Brown looks to reunite with throughout the video. From one collab to the next, we have Lady Gaga and Adele. While it may be premature to assume the two, who posted a selfie together on Instagram, are musically collaborating, the photo sure did spark the public’s interest, making many wonder if we can expect music from the two in 2015. While the world waits, we can only hope that the IG selfie collab is a precursor to a possible musical collaboration from the two powerhouses.
8. 2015 has already become the year of Kendall Jenner. Whether she’s in the news for her possible hookups or for scoring yet another magazine spread, the 19-year-old Kendall (as she prefers to be called in the modeling world, excluding her last name) is on top of the world, and this week was no exception. The oldest Jenner girl managed to score both her first digital ad campaign for Estée Lauder and her third Vogue fashion feature all in the same week. Additionally, she was in the headlines for hanging out with singer Justin Bieber and model Hailey Baldwin. Their night out quickly turned into fabricated reports that claimed it was a “three-way date,” which was later denied by Baldwin.
9. Lindsay Lohan had a tough week fighting off a virus and news of possible jail time. Lohan contracted a nasty viral infection known as Chikungunya (which is an incurable virus that can cause joint pain for months and leave you in a hospital bed for days, yikes!) during the holidays while vacationing in Bora Bora. This week, she had a flare-up from the virus that sent her to a London hospital yet again. Although she has since been released, her bout with the virus will be her justification when her lawyer goes to court next week to announce that Lohan has not completed community service hours that are in connection with her 2012 reckless driving case, as reported by TMZ. TMZ also reports that Lindsay isn't even close to finishing her 240 community service hours, and thus, jail time for the Hollywood actress could be a possibility.
10. First comes love, then comes marriage; then comes a baby… Well it may not be in that order for Hollywood stars but if they’re not much for tradition, we’re not complaining! Surprise! Chad Michael Murray is married and expecting a baby! The former One Tree Hill star and his current Chosen costar, Sarah Roemer, are expecting their first child after marrying in secret. Another Hollywood actress who is set to walk down the aisle and has a bun in the oven is Zooey Deschanel. News of Deschanel and her producer beau Jacob Pechenik’s engagement comes just one week after they announced they were expecting their first child together. To round out the expecting mommies list is Rachael Leigh Cook and her Vampire Diaries hottie of a husband, Daniel Gillies. And a couple who kept it more traditional is The Bachelorette’s Desiree Hartsock and Chris Siegfried. Hartsock said “I do” to Siegfried on Jan. 18 after becoming engaged on The Bachelorette’s finale.
That concludes another Entertainment10. Thanks for reading collegiettes! I’ll have more entertainment news for you next week, so I hope to see you then.